Fun with the crater shader

Started by 3DGuy, December 26, 2006, 07:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tiger_666

is there a way to have a number of craters randomly distributed over a map without adding them individually?.. and can you somehow set a impact angle? Instead of having the crater represent a vertical impact.... thank s
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

lonewolf

With a simple twist and shear applied to the crater rim we get a directional crater.

- Iain

oggyb

yeah but that looks extremely weird. . . I suppose it looks more natural with some redirect going on?

M.

3DGuy

linewolf: I would use a distrubution shader to move restrict the shearing just below the surface and use less shearing. That would make it more natural.

Oshyan

You can't currently do a "population" of craters, but we hope to provide that kind of ability in the future.

- Oshyan

MeltingIce

Quote from: JavaJones on January 07, 2007, 06:12:55 PM
You can't currently do a "population" of craters, but we hope to provide that kind of ability in the future.

- Oshyan
Yea I tried that and didn't work  :-[
I have found though that you can create tidal waves using the crater shader combined with some other shaders  ;)

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

efflux

Populations of craters would be great. Some cool ideas in this thread.

king_tiger_666

meltingice, i was just rendering something like that lol, how did you know, though it is very simple so far

MeltingIce

Quote from: king_tiger_666 on January 07, 2007, 07:11:34 PM
meltingice, i was just rendering something like that lol, how did you know, though it is very simple so far

Cause I'm psychic, duh  ;)  The render I was trying was of a shoreline with a massive wave coming in.  Initially it didn't turn out very good but I didn't spend very much time on it.  It's something I plan to come back to soon.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

xanga433

The tidal wave idea is really good! Thank you, I've been meaning to make something like that. In King Tigers picture, I can imagine a mushroom cloud sort of formation above the center of the crater...make a nice scene akin to the movie "Deep Impact."

-Iain #2

king_tiger_666

that will be my next attempt using this kind of render adding a cloud plume if possible

3DGuy

Since you can't do crater populations in T2 yet, I've created a simple script to generate a number of random craters.

Check it out here:
http://www.theglasseye.nl/terragen/

It will create a clipfile you can import into TG2. Just connect the last crater shader to the compute terrain node :)
If there's more options needed, post it here and I'll see if I can add that.

John2k6

3DGuy

In Terragen, use a negative depth.

In the script just enter negative values for the Min/Max depth percentage entries. There 100 means depth=radius.

John2k6