Floating populations (Displacement)

Started by Volker Harun, July 21, 2007, 02:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

Yes, again, sorry ,-)

It was a long time ago with a lot of ot off topic discussion.
Can anybody give me a quick clue what to do?
The dispalcements were done before 'compute terrain'
I use 'Y for slope' on the distribution shader of the population.

Any idea?

Thanks, Volker

Matt

Can you give me a coordinate readout near the cliff? If it's quite some distance from 0,0,0 then there may be alignment problems. There is a bug in Compute Terrain which has been fixed for the next update, and that may be the reason for the misalignment.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

rcallicotte

This looks pretty good, Volker.  Once you get this fixed, it could rival what I've seen with trees in Vue.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

X: 11.727 km / Y: -255.577 m / Z: -8.908 km
Not that fur in my humble opinion, I could walk that ,-)
It is the same terrain as in the 'oneforall-thread'

moodflow

This looks like its going to be a very nice image.  I have to agree... its definitely going to rival or even surpass Vue.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

@moodflow - I agree: it'll surpass.  Not only in trees and foliage, but the whole scope and practical means within TG2 far surpasses what Vue can do by scope of magnitude.  While Vue 6 looks really good when it's done well, the seemingly unlimited amount of creative work that can be done within TG2 depends solely on us - the artistic end-users.  Gosh.  We have math geniuses coming up with really cool node scenarios, great artists popping out beautiful work, and a general population who just keeps learning more and more.  It's incredible.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

Attached is the file - for closer inspection.
You need as objects the XFrog-model Beech in two variations (the preset is just ugly).
The foliage got desaturated and brightness got pushed by approx. 30-40%.

Everything else is in the file.

I deleted the stand-alone distribution shader. Instead I turned the base colours to black, inserted a white coloured surface shader with my preferred distribution for the trees. I tried all setting for the slope key for no prevail(?).
Inserted is a second camera for closeups. I am thinking to link an image through it to mask those stupid trees ,-)

Volker

Volker Harun

And - just say thanks to a little group of programmers, testers, and a community with wonderful ideas and lots of help - and call it luck. ,-)

Volker Harun

Guess what - for previewing the distribution-square, I set it to -200m and forgot to set it back to 0 :D :D :D
The population fits!

Oshyan

I'm glad this one got sorted out. This kind of thing happens all too often to me as well. I'm looking forward to the final scene.  :)

- Oshyan

Volker Harun

Well, Oshyan. It is published here, on deviant art, on renderosity and on the webpage of JavaJones (silly guy, eh?) :D :D :D

Oshyan

Haha, I know I saw it after I posted my reply. Lots of stuff to catch up on after a long weekend. :)

- Oshyan