Camera Identification in Preview

Started by PabloMack, August 17, 2014, 05:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

When the preview is showing one or more cameras, I can click on the camera and move it but how do I know which one it is? The right-click panel shows several options but it doesn't tell me the name of the camera. Perhaps the camera name should be at the top of the list. In my work flow I am creating as many cameras as I have POV's. This can result in many cameras and it is becoming increasingly more important to quickly identify which camera is which.

TheBadger

you can rename the camera in the camera node at least. It dose look like the cameras are only at the top in the preview window on the left, but cant be reordered in the select camera button.

In the "select different camera or viewpoint" button, I agree cameras should be movable in the list, they should also have color options so you can select them by color rather then trying to remember what name is what camera. The camera icon in the 3d viewers should also take a color so that its quick to locate and select visually.

There remains a lot that PS could do on this front.
It has been eaten.

PabloMack

Quote from: TheBadger on August 17, 2014, 10:14:17 PMyou can rename the camera in the camera node at least.

I'm glad of that. I rename all my cameras.

Quote from: TheBadger on August 17, 2014, 10:14:17 PMIn the "select different camera or viewpoint" button, I agree cameras should be movable in the list, they should also have color options so you can select them by color rather then trying to remember what name is what camera. The camera icon in the 3d viewers should also take a color so that its quick to locate and select visually. There remains a lot that PS could do on this front.

In most instances, I am trying to find a particular camera in the preview so if I could make that one camera show differently somehow it would be a great help. Having different colors might work well with just a few but when you have dozens of cameras the colors might not do so well at differentiating them. Also, I recall discussing the need to turn cameras off in preview because they tend to clutter the picture when there are many close together. If I could do this then I would turn all off in preview except the one I am looking for. This would solve many problems. What would really be nice is to have one list of all of the cameras with a check box for preview enable beside each of them.

Oshyan

It's not an ideal solution, but you can double-click a camera (or other object) in the scene in addition to selecting it and it will bring up the settings dialog for that note, which will tell you the name.

You can turn off "Show camera body in Preview" in the options of each camera node.

- Oshyan