Smooth combiner tutorial

Started by wiwine, August 13, 2014, 02:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiwine

Before the next part of my dunes tutorial, here is another one that could be useful in some situations (when you have to combine function-generated terrains).
First I wanted to put it in the other tutorial, but I realized that it could be better to present it separatly.

Enjoy !  ;)

archonforest

Holly cow...I opened the PDF and still shocked :D Feels like missed some class in school... :D :D :D
Guess bigben will understand thit document...

Otherwise big thx for the tut. Something that is always welcome here :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bigben

Yes I like to see the workings behind it, but it's also a deceptively simple tweak with only one parameter to adjust.

Dune

Thanks Laurent, you're obviously good at maths. Handy thing to have, waiting to be used.

cyphyr

My brain just melted. Hopefully I can find the time to understand this in more detail.

One question, can this (or a similar technique be used to "smooth" out other hard transitions?  In particular I am thinking of the merge node.
When this is set to "Choose by Altitude <highest (raise)/Lowest (cut away)>" it creates very HARD transitions between the two merged terrains. It would be great if these could be smoothed off

Thanks for the great tut.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

wiwine

Quote from: cyphyr on August 14, 2014, 05:09:08 AM
One question, can this (or a similar technique be used to "smooth" out other hard transitions?  In particular I am thinking of the merge node.
When this is set to "Choose by Altitude <highest (raise)/Lowest (cut away)>" it creates very HARD transitions between the two merged terrains. It would be great if these could be smoothed off

I just made a test with two fractal terrains and a merge shader. This time I didn't use the high/low colour options to generate the terrains.
But I added a "displacement shader to scalar" to each fractal terrain.
Just take a look to the following file, and try to render with the following values for c : 0, 100 and 200.
Then tell me if it is what you are looking for.  :)

Dune

Works like a charm. At first I thought, what can a 1m extra displacement change, but it smoothes out the fractals' edges very nicely. Thanks a lot, very handy!

cyphyr

What Dune said!

Excellent work, this is going to be so useful.

Thank you very much.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Shigawire

Wiwine, yet again I am in awe... you are a Terragen master mentat! :D

p.s. I can see why you needed to come up with this before continuing the Dune tutorial series.. ;)

j meyer

Thanks for sharing the example files.

bobbystahr

Whew, thanks mate....Back to school today it seems....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist