Heart Break Road

Started by EmDee1, July 21, 2007, 12:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmDee1

A picture of a small road on an island in front of the Dutch coast. I stayed there for a short holiday and made long walks there last autumn. No mountains here... :)

rcallicotte

Nicely done.  At first, I thought I was looking at something rendered in Vue 6.  Nice.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

ozijon

Mavcat

Bit grainy and some flat clouds, but the setting and terrain is very nice :)

Volker Harun

Very good scene setup. Some tweaks on the atmosphere and the colouring may make it a stunner.

old_blaggard

Nice job with the robe.  I agree that it actually kind of looks like a Vue render.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

EmDee1

Thanks for your kind comments, people! Was my first uploaded image, so I felt a bit insecure how reactions would turn out. The grainyness: would that have someting to do with the number of atmosphere- and cloud samples?

Mavcat

Quote from: EmDee1 on July 22, 2007, 02:10:32 PM
Thanks for your kind comments, people! Was my first uploaded image, so I felt a bit insecure how reactions would turn out. The grainyness: would that have someting to do with the number of atmosphere- and cloud samples?
Its about your cloud quality,try making it higher,but beware of longer rendering times,and they can get reallyyyyyy longer :P If you want i can give you the whole story of how it is related :) (If im right about that ofcourse :P)

Volker Harun

I disagree - as you can see the grain in front of the trees you should first increase the atmosphere samples. Try to go up in steps of ~20 samples, to get a feeling for it.
If there should still be grain left in the sky, go for Mavcat's advice.

Mavcat

Quote from: Volker Harun on July 22, 2007, 04:19:25 PM
I disagree - as you can see the grain in front of the trees you should first increase the atmosphere samples. Try to go up in steps of ~20 samples, to get a feeling for it.
If there should still be grain left in the sky, go for Mavcat's advice.

And again,my noobiness is prover :-[  :-X

ozijon

I always set my atmo Quality on 64 and render on Quality 1 works just fine

EmDee1

The render I posted July 21th had for Atmo 40, Clouds 300. Not to bad I think. Maybe it is the fairly small size I rendered it, that causes the grainyness (?). The image was 1280x960, and to upload it I made it 760x570. I upload a new one now; rendered at 2560x1920 pixels and reduced it again to 760x570 pixels. It took a real long time to render, so I changed Atmo to 32, clouds to 128. Render time:
31 hours. There is some grainyness here and there, so higher quality settings in Atmo and Clouds still may be a good choice, but the improvement is considerable I believe.

Saurav

The clouds shouldn't need to be at that high settings for this scene I'd imagine, for most scenes I find that 128 samples are plenty. Increase your atmo settings as Volker has mentioned and you should see the grain reduced.

sjefen

I'm also sure it's the atmosphere samples.
Great image tho.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Tangled-Universe

Doesn't the sample level depend on the cloud depth? Thus, greater depths = greater sample levels? (for clear/clean results)
Cloud depth doesn't seem to be really high in this render, so 128 samples might be sufficient indeed.

I've read you rendered it at a high resolution. For what reason, posters? If I were you I'd chose half the resolution and to raise atmo samples as stated before.
There's a fairly simple rule of thumb:

if grain in clouds --> increase cloud samples
if grain on terrain/features (like trees) --> increase atmo samples.

As you can see there's little to no grain in your clouds but a greater amount of grain on your terrain/features.

I like your render by the way. Very nice concept, execution and use of vegetation. May be it's nice to put a few slightly larger fake stones on the road?