Imagining maps

Started by bigben, August 15, 2014, 10:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Replaced the video with a longer test. A couple of obvious ones.... gotta get me some camera path tools and there are some small mask artefacts that have to be cleaned up. Not quite sure why they're coming through but I'll just add a an extra adjustment to make sure they're gone.  Same URL: https://vimeo.com/103634218

Gotta start work on a timed story board too ;)

Dune

This is going to look very good. Will you be texturing from the front to back or vice versa, or maybe from bottom up?

bigben

Back to front (matching the direction of the river flow), bottom up.

The initial map will fade in from a blank white page, possibly starting with some live video of someone unrolling a blank "map" on a desk/table. That fade will use the elevation data as well, but of course the terrain will still be flat. Right to left for that one and haven't decided whether to go high to low or vice versa. Conceptually I can see both working so I'll probably wait to see how they look. Given the "low" accuracy of the first map I'll use a 100m DEM for that mask.

The initial surfacing will be static and when completed I'll "start the clock" and get the clouds and sun moving. 

Saving up for a scan so I can make a cameo appearance in a fly by over a ridge/cliff edge ;)

Hoping to do 1920x1080 but the frames with surfacing will take longer to render.  The DEMs and image maps are pretty quick (750 frames @ 1080px wide on 2 PCs in <12 hrs)

Oshyan

This reminds me quite a bit of a TG feature marketing video I have been working on. It's a cool idea. :)

- Oshyan

bigben

Concept-wise there's probably not much difference between demonstrating different data visualisations and TG features.  I'm using a wide range of TG features to try and get researchers to see some of the things that are possible to do with their data.   Came across another aerometrex video in my browsing.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HLKXziRu8 If they can do it on that scale, there should be no reason why we (my uni's researchers) can't do this on a smaller scale.

bigben

Have to get my butt into gear on the surfacing. Just got a (relatively) kick arse VM at work for testing on photogrammetry: 16 vCPU cores and 64 GB RAM + equivalent to Quadro K5000 GPU (dedicated).  This is gonna require a lot of learning on my part as cool displacements have never been my forte. Ditching the fractal detail to start with (or maybe reducing it to very low amounts) and trying some of the presets. The canyon walls have always been my nemesis but it's already looking better than I had before.

[edit] Holy cow... render on sad old PC at home (3ghz i7, 8Gb RAM): 15:30. Remote desktop to work, PCoIP to VM, render 3:40  ;D

Dune

I wish I had a link to that VM, I'm 'stuck with my sad i7'  :o  That's awesome to have available, Ben. Good on you.