Roman ship

Started by Dune, August 20, 2014, 04:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

In all, a super detailed image. I especially like the atmo light and the composition.

Dune

You're absolutely right, Doug, but I wanted a way to show the soldier on the top floor. I wouldn't actually know how these guys 'lived' in these towers at night, probably closed all shutters, and have some lamps and play dice, with one sentry on the balcony....

cyphyr

Maybe you should change your handle to VOLCO :)
(seeing it on the tower made me think of it)
Lovely lighting and very well posed characters. Are these just sketches or are you building towards something?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

:D

DAZ is really quite handy for a bit distant figures. This is just a test to see what the newly built tower would look like, and I dumped in some other stuff to make it look good. And actually, I like it myself  ;)

bobbystahr

Great image...well modeled tower and effective use of characters to give it humanity and a story direction...Bobby like.....like the light in the tower as well but I'm a bit of a lighting freak in any case.
EDIT
maybe a bit much reflective on the armour...don't think they had stainless steel or chrome yet, heh heh heh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

otakar

Fascinating. Bright lights definitely belong to modernity. For the period you probably would expect some faint light from a torch or oil lamp. Particularly on foggy or overcast nights it must have been dark...

Hannes

Agree. Must have been darker.

Dune

OK, I'll make one darker.

Dune

OK, last one for now. Time to make some amphora's.....

Hannes

The lighting is perfect now. Agree with Bobby about the armor's reflection. Could be a bit less.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on September 03, 2014, 07:15:04 AM
The lighting is perfect now. Agree with Bobby about the armor's reflection. Could be a bit less.

Still a bit "Marvel Comic" like on the armour but the lighting is better. I'm really gonna have to learn how to pose etc. with DAZ as I currently use it mainly for converting cr2 and pp2 files into textured geometries....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

choronr

Looking great Ulco. The low light enhances the image and adds to the caution of the guard.

otakar

fleetwood

Very nice . Lowering the tower light, brings it together to allow the back story of it to be pondered.

(hate to admit it but I've been playing Dark Souls II lately and in a game that tower light would have invited enemy bow shots)

Dune

Thanks guys. It's an improvement allright, though I could have thrown in a lot more veggies. For a commission I would, but this was merely intended as a test for the tower.
Regarding the armor; I had a refraction index of 4 at first, lowered it to 2.5. Still too much? I was also working on bronze, and found that multiplying the RT reflection with a color will do that trick. The colors I still have to work out, had a greenish tint at first, but these helmets were polished and shiny new in those days, so no verdigris like old bronze (though that would be nicer).