Roman ship

Started by Dune, August 20, 2014, 04:03:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

I keep forgetting that the time is the past but what they were wearing was in fact shiny new then....ooops
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

A new group of soldiers. A little painting post will get rid of nasty stuff. The horse will hopefully be replaced by a 'real horse'. Clothing is horribly hard in DAZ. And draping it in LW can be done after the posing, but takes a lot of time, so I hope I can get away with this. PS will do 'wonders'  ;)

choronr

Amazing! Maybe a tad of light dust surrounding the soldier group; and, some light tracks behind the small cart?

Kadri

The composition is nice.
You have Lightwave Ulco.Rendering the guys in Lightwave and comping might be better probably.

bobbystahr

Uh, did they wax their legs back then, seems they should be more hirsute don't it? Great scene..agree a bit "clean" though...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

masonspappy

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 06, 2014, 04:23:35 PM
seems they should be more hirsute don't it?
And they should be more hairy, too.... ;D

@ Ulco - did you model the horse yourself? if so may I ask what software you used?

Dune

Rendering in LW is something I've never attempted (so far). But, mind you, the settings on this were very low for testing it; detail 0.4 and AA 4, I think. So they may loose their hairy legs  ;) Or did you mean they should have hair on their scalps? I think soldiers didn't have too much hair, even in those days... someone might grab you by it. They didn't have real beards either! 
I found the horse on the web, a couple of years back I think, but I had to work on it in Lightwave and Mudbox, and texture it again. Also made a saddle and stuff for it. It's not very good, but a replacement is probably due.

I'll do some dust and dirt and extra tracks in post, was also thinking of their legs and sandals on that sandy road.

Thanks guys.

Dune

I'm diverting a bit, but wanted to show you guys some quality results. Actually there's not even thát much difference (there is a difference of course) in rendering at detail 0.3 and AA 3 versus detail 0.5 and AA 6. Not as much as I expected. At least not in the daz objects. The detail 0.5 AA6 crop also has soft shadows and that makes a huge difference.
The veggie crop looks not too bad, IMHO. Also detail 0.3 and AA3.

choronr

The slight difference with a wee bit more of shadow is apparent and noticeable ...very good! The vegetation is very dense and packed with details ...well done.

j meyer

The veggie pic is very convincing,nice distribution and lighting,
the slightly hazier background is the cherry on top.
Personally I could do without the dark green leaves of the yellow
foreground plants and the somewhat flat white blossoms,though.

dorianvan

Hi Ulco,
The people look great at a distance, but up close, not so good, unless you change the lighting/atmosphere to accommodate. For what it's worth, I would change up the lighting some, maybe back-lighting or something like the previous shot with the single garrison and soldier, which was brilliant by the way.
-Dorian

zaxxon

The vegetation is wonderfully dense and varied, very nice! I suspect that TG's renderer may not cope with skin coloration all that well, but for illustration purposes it may serve. You are creating a nice library of artifacts and people; maybe "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire" is coming to TG soon?

Hannes

The vegetation is indeed fantastic!!!
But I have to say that I don't really like the DAZ (or Poser-) humans. It's a matter of taste I know, but to me they look kind of dead. Anyway it's an easy way to fill a scene with people when the camera isn't too near.
The skin shader looks quite convincing. Almost like SSS (...and I don't mean the simple shape shader!) The armor shaders could use some more attention. The helmets for example don't really look like metal.
I hope you don't mind me nagging!!!!! ;)

Dune

No please, nag on! I really appreciate your crits. The things I agree with, I'm more than willing to improve. In this case the lighting e.g. needs to be like this, as this will be comped in with a frame of Roman pillars in the same light. I'd prefer backlighting and people further away. I agree with the 'flatness' of these guys, but hey, I just got into modeling, and am quite happy already with the fact that I can now quite easily pose some people. With extra effort their skins and suits might be made better (I could load them in Mudbox and wrinkle their skins a little), but there's a limit on the time I can spend also.

I might do this for myself with different lighting though.

For the helmets I used an additional (after the texture file) RT reflective shader, refraction @3 or 4, followed by a merge shader, multiplying the then turned stainless steel color by a redbrown and orangy PF to make it bronze again. But that last bit wasn't yet on this helmet. Any ideas how to improve more? 

TheBadger

I have to agree with the Daz crit. And I really don't think its TG's fault at all. I think mostly DAZ figures look terrible in every context I have seen them... All of them. From the lack of naturalism in the poses to the textures. To the details of the clothing and all. Sorry.
I do think Daz can be a useful time saver. But DAZ is pretty worthless when used "out of the box". poser seems to be a bit better for skin textures, but not really very much better in most cases (again, that I have seen).

Even so, I really love seeing figures in TG scenes. So I don't want to be so negative as I am. I guess just keep working until you find the way to make it all look good together. I think it is worth it. Figures really add just sooo much when they look good.
It has been eaten.