RealFlow

Started by mhaze, August 20, 2014, 06:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Has any body attempted to input realflow .obj output(or other) directly into terragen.  Is it possible?

cyphyr

I see no reason why not. After all RealFlow will export obj's so either a single frome or a obj sequence should be no problem.

RealFlow does have an excellent shader system that would have to be replaced with TG's own native water shader (plus various TG extras).

Another solution may be to import the obj (or obj sequence) and set the object to "holdout" so it renders a black void where the obj is. Then render the obj in RealFlow (or a similar package that supports its shaders) using an environment map created in TG and then comp the two together.

RealFlow is a bitch to learn but the results are top notch. I think Blender has some very good fluid simulators so that is another alternative.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

mhaze

Guess I'll have to try the trial version before buying.  But with only 30 days to learn it!!! I have also read that many people have had trouble getting the .obj output to work with for example Vue so I'm wary.

Tangled-Universe

Realflow is actually relatively easy compared to other packages.
Especially the last 2 versions create much better sims out of the box.
I managed to make some nice sims with it and then consider I'm a complete noob with pretty much anything else than TG.
I found Realflow pretty intuitive and simple to get started with.
Admittedly, there's quite a volume of settings to control and understand if you truly want to make it do your bidding, which can make it difficult.

As for RF obj output in TG. I tried it. Please don't do it.

First of all it is mindbogging slow and also mindbogging ugly.
TG's renderer is just not the tool for this type of job.

Instead I would try something like Richard suggested.
The last realflow has good integration with other renderers, so I would start reading on that.

Tangled-Universe

Another interesting alternative and especially MUCH cheaper: Houdini Apprentice

There are some nice tutorials on Houdini FLIP fluids which should get you started quickly.
Once you have figured out how to perform FLIP sim on your imported TG geo then you can see how to comp the 2 together.

I don't know how much time you have, but I wish I had 1 single week of total free time to learn FLIP sims on TG geo, because I think it won't take longer.

cyphyr

Ok I admit I've not played with RF for several years.  Glad to hear it has improved.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

mhaze

Thanks Martin - Just downloaded houdini apprentice.  It is restricted to 720x576 when rendering and has a word mark but maybe I can do something with it.  I certainly can't afford the big packages to make a comped version and none of them offer a version I as a retired gent can access.

mhaze

Just discovered you need houdini FX for fluid sims! but maybe not for FLIP fluids. I am an idiot I must reread it all and check!

JUST IGNORE ABOVE  houdini apprentice does allow FLIP sims.

Tangled-Universe

If you can find your way in Houdini then buy Houdini Apprentice HD at $99 or Houdini Indie at $199 (small commercial license).

Apprentice HD allows for full HD rendering without watermark and has all the bells and whistles. (and so does Indie)

mhaze