Vectors in TG issues

Started by TheBadger, August 25, 2014, 09:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

The simple solution is you have to flatten the extruded structure then make UVs of
the flattened plane and extrude again and sculpt from there.And NO holes in the structure!!!!!
As shown in your thread Michael.

Edit:of course not extrude,but move/raise it up again.Sorry.

TheBadger

^^ ahh yes that was your post. I was thinking of it off and on all night. Was going to mention it as proof of what I was trying to accomplish. I did not remember that you said to flatten then stretch it back up, but now that makes perfect sense.

I am not sure that there can be no holes at all though. I mean I know that is the consensus. But I just am determined to find some trick!

My main problem right now is making maps, displacement and vector. If I use really high settings mud starts crying.

It has been eaten.

j meyer

As for the holes:unless you find some way to make a wormhole
(or maybe some quantum magic?)there is no trick to find,I'm afraid. ;)

There is another way of doing such things like the structure you
showed(without holes) ,do the first step,the blocks and stuff,
make a vdisp map,displace in TG,then export the geometry to
your app and use that as the base for the next step(s).I think
Chris mentioned this before,also.

TheBadger

Hi J.

I just discovered that the flatten and stretch part of the workflow is unnecessary when trying to create pillars and towers. Just pull and build up your forms and don't worry how ugly the geo gets. Then just click re-topo. now add all your detail to pretty close to perfect quads and done.
However, I'm not quite sure yet, but after you re-topo, (in mud it is an automated process), the new re-topo(ed) plane may or may not become your lowest smooth level. Have to look into that.

Also, I have found that a hole is not only possible its easy, though requires a bunch of steps. And I don't know what TG will do with the map once it gets that far. I think this will work. all the steps are proven. Just have to do it now. We'll see I guess.

Oh, also, i'm finding that T-Us statement that you don't need to target down to the lowest sub level (I think it was T-U), is a good idea. Targeting down to 50000 0r 100000 polygons instead of whatever the default number is for the default plane... looks like a good way to get better detail. Also trying this out soon.
If its already proven some image examples would be nice if anyone has them on retargeting to a high polly.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Why don't you post some of your experiments?

j meyer

What Ulco said.
The retopo stuff doesn't work like that in ZB,you have to do it from
the starting plane/object.
I'm eager to see the hole.... in TG,'cause that's where it's problematic.

Dune

I mean in general. You post a lot, Michael, but we never see any recent work anymore  :(

TheBadger

I admit defeat.

You cannot retarget a re-topoed plane to the original plane level zero. And you cannot retarget a plane to any other plane with different original topology. Also, a retoped does not become a zero level, so you cannot smooth and target back to the retopo, because the retopo is not at zero, and the target mesh must be at zero in order to create a UV.

Also, in any case at all, both planes must have UVs and both must mach at level zero which becomes impossible when you either re-topo in mud or change topology in maya.

I tried this in a number of ways, including using maya planes and mud planes with the related UVs.

At each point you are prevented from even trying to make a v map by mud. Therefore J was right, I have to change the space time continuum before making mud work the way I want.

Of course you can have holes in MUD, just have to import an object modeled with holes. But there is no way to make a vector of it * for use in TG as a terrain vector*. The best you can get is a cup form, or a tube with one end closed.

And yes, the no hole thing was stated a number of times in the big thread as well as here. But now I fully understand why. Which sucks, Just feels strange when you cant do something in 3D.

Anyway, I can do everything I thought. I just cant make a proper UV vector of it. So no *real* holes then.
>:(

@ulco, I'll just post less.

It has been eaten.

Dune

TheBadger

Ba
I'll never finish anything at this rate anyway. Not really interested in posting tests and stuff. I want to post the finished story.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Still, to keep this forum alive and kicking, we need more posts, tests and above all, renders... so think communal  ;) If you stop, I'll stop  8)

Kadri

https://vimeo.com/103389185

For your motivation Michael. It took his years. Not sure if you want to make a short movie or not.
Mostly Lightwave. Look at his site too for more detail.

bobbystahr

Wow Kadri...that was amazing...and he started his modeling career in Bryce. No wonder he found Lightwave a joy to work with as Bryce back then (1998) was a wonky piece of work at best. Thanks for sharing this.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

:)
I was waiting since 2 years to watch it. Very nice work indeed.

yossam

That, my friend, was cool as hell.  :) 

Thanks for the link.