Sailing ship

Started by Hannes, September 01, 2014, 03:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

This is a WIP and it's already animated. It's a mix of Oleg's ocean foam pattern settings and a lot of stuff I already created for the first NWDA competition. I always wanted to improve my attempts to create convincing animated ocean water. Not sure if I got really further. Still adjusting some things. I'll keep you informed. Could be something to try Pixel Plow.

Hannes

Here is an image of the water settings. The left part is the one Oleg shared. The rest is created by me, but I took bits and pieces of other files, so I'm not quite sure who else is to credit.

yossam

Looks good..............like to see it animated.  :)

masonspappy

Agree with Yossam. Any chance of you posting a short clip?

choronr

Hey Hannes, that is looking great. I looked at your node setup and ask: what are those green dots next to nodes? I assume they are for referencing - great idea if that is the case. If so, how do you do that?

Kadri

Looks great Hannes. Waiting for the animation :)

Hannes

Thanks guys. At the moment I am rendering a short low quality clip. This takes a while, but I'll show it asap.
Bob, the green dots indicate that a shader is animated. They appear automatically. I don't know if they also show up when other things are animated. Anyway I didn't have to put them in ;)

choronr

Thanks for explaining Hannes. I thought it would be a good way to remind oneself that we've made a change to a node.

Hannes

Dune

To speed up animating, you might want to try non-transparent water, but a deep bluegreen color variation. Maybe on this distance you'll get away with it.

Hannes

Yes, I'm still testing some settings. This might be a good idea. I like the surface of the original water shader. Is there a difference (regarding render times) between a water shader without transparency and a regular surface shader with a reflective shader applied?

Dune

Depends on the roughness of the water, in what I tested. But a small crop render will reveal the truth!

Kadri

How big do you want to render it Hannes? What is the render time of one frame?

mhaze

This is really well done. The water is superb and the rocks very good. I like the painterly feel to the picture. looking forward to the animation.

Hannes

Thanks!!
The render as you can see it here took about one hour. I'd love to render it as large as possible, but it depends on the prize of course. It's just 100 frames, so it shouldn't be too expensive.
But the larger the renders are, the more you will see all the flaws ;)