Crop to Object

Started by bobbystahr, September 20, 2014, 09:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

In the render TABs there is this:
Crop to object: If this is checked the render will be cropped to the bounding box of the assigned object.
Please note that the object must be TG's built-in Sphere object. If you use some other sort of object the render won't be cropped.

So what is the point if it only crops to a sphere? :'(...always wondered at why the heck it was even there.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

masonspappy

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 20, 2014, 09:28:49 PM

Please note that the object must be TG's built-in Sphere object. If you use some other sort of object the render won't be cropped.

Thanks Bobby. I know it didn't work the way I thought it should, but never realized it was limited to this.

bobbystahr

Been driving me nuts since I first found it, thought it was non functioning in the Free version and then I got the Full TG2 and it still did nothing...guess I should have checked the WIKI and saved brain cells....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

It could be more useful but as it is it's good for being able to crop to a specific position in the scene automatically, regardless of camera angle, etc. Say you want to render some texture tests on an imported model and you want to crop it so you save render time. Put a sphere that encompasses the model, make it invisible, crop to object, and then you can rotate to any angle and not have to manually adjust your crop settings.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on September 21, 2014, 10:12:51 PM
It could be more useful but as it is it's good for being able to crop to a specific position in the scene automatically, regardless of camera angle, etc. Say you want to render some texture tests on an imported model and you want to crop it so you save render time. Put a sphere that encompasses the model, make it invisible, crop to object, and then you can rotate to any angle and not have to manually adjust your crop settings.

- Oshyan

Guess I just needed the technique it was designed for explained. That makes good sense as a work around for an actual crop to object.
Maybe add that paragraph to the WIKI, don't cost anything and would make lives easier going forward. I'll certainly be using this as I do many crops before I either render or abandon a project.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New