Better or Worse. Request.

Started by TheBadger, September 20, 2014, 09:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hi,

Request that it be made possible to store at least one (ideally 2) default size test renders (plus the current render) with-in the TG render node for quick back and forth review.

In maya you can toggle back and forth between resent test renders, making it easy and fast to compare differences between two or more test renders.
In Terragen I have to save the renders and then go out to view and compare them. Frankly, it is more than a little irritating at this point.  :P

Thanks.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Everything you render gets automatically saved as a numbered .bmp as well as it's alpha channel...don't those fill the bill, It's under Explore Temporary Files in the File menu.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

TheBadger

Im on a mac. I don't have that option that I see. The only way I can ever find those files is if I restart, then they are in a recovered folder in the trash can.
It has been eaten.

j meyer

Quote from: bobbystahr on September 21, 2014, 12:48:31 AM
Everything you render gets automatically saved as a numbered .bmp as well as it's alpha channel...don't those fill the bill, It's under Explore Temporary Files in the File menu.

It's not automatically anymore.You have to enable that yourself,if desired.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on September 21, 2014, 10:36:23 AM

Guess I must have then...that stash has saved my butt a number of times
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on September 21, 2014, 10:36:23 AM

Not that I have or am getting a Mac, but how would this be done on one? For those with a Mac.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Must have read all that time and time ago as the first thing I do in any app is go to preferences...Guess I just forgot but does this help TheBadger? He seems to think it takes a shut down and restart to get at the temp files.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

Well anyway, my request remains. I don't have do any of this stuff ^^ in other soft, and its quite nice. In TG I will render a hundred times just to find the place I want my scene to focus on. And when Im using elevation data covering several hundred square mile, I render test images even more just looking for that place and view that will be worth working on. When surfacing I random seed for hours just trying to find that slightly better effect. Arguably most of what I do I do because I want to, rather than because I need to, but still.

So Im supposed to go out of TG and use outside software for all of that? have fun with your carpal tunnel ;D
It irritating

But then again we are all going to end up with arthritis in our fingers anyway. so.
;)
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

This has been a feature request for some time, already in our issue database. It ought to be implemented at some point, but I don't know when.

In the meantime use of the automatic temporary output (which does now need to be enabled manually in TG3, but also nicely lets you specify formats other than BMP!) is actually a rather good substitute, since you get all the benefits of an external image viewer.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Oh Ok Oshyan. I thought when I was typing that I was not the first to ask. But I could not remember any context or answer. So I thought It may not have been brought up.

I remember Jo talking with me about where TG was placing the files on OSX. It had been dumping them loose in my hard drive (TG2), he fixed that, but I never asked about any of the changes.

Its not a really big deal. Just one of those little things that seem worse when you are already bothered by some more meaningful problem or stress  :D Ill take a pill or something  ;D
It has been eaten.

jo

Hi Michael,

Once you turn on the automatic render saving you can find the files on the Mac (and Windows) by going to the File menu and choosing "Reveal Automatic Render Output Files". By default it puts them in a "Terragen 3" folder in your documents folder.

Regards,

Jo