Free plugin to model trees in ZBrush.

Started by cyphyr, September 04, 2014, 10:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Thanks for pointing this one out. I've dl'd the files and browsed thru the tutorials. It looks very promising, the only prob for me means plunging back into the ZB work environment (prefer MudBox). The script appears to be actively evolving with lots of tutorials, all good. Per the thread discussion there may be some UV issues, but only hands-on experience will tell. I've grown accustomed to the Speedtree interface, which is lightning quick and handles huge poly counts with great UV coverage and outputs quads as well, but (and this is large): the meshes created are severely limited by the EULA. Looking forward to playing with this.

TheBadger

All I can say is that tree looks really nice.
It has been eaten.

cyphyr

I've wondered about Speedtree, what are these EULA restrictions you speak about ?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

zaxxon

Basically the EULA states that any mesh created within Speedtree remains the property of IDV (Speedtree's developer). There is no ability to distribute as a subsequent retail product, nor even as a free shared offering. Not too dissimilar to E-on's foliage creation software , The Plant Factory (if you are a Vue user there are some fair options). With IDV, Meshes can only be shared as a work product within a licensed site. Sucks. But, this policy undoubtedly protects a large retail library of pre-made trees and misc. foliage, rough average individual cost about $49 US. The upper level Speedtree  app includes the complete library, and as I calculate based on sale pricing for the app w/o the library ($1,999) vs the top retail of $4,999 the models are a major revenue generator. E-on (and their dev community) must make a fair sum off their plants as well. So... Well, the software is very well thought out, stable, mature and a major player in the AA market of video games and film. It's hard to explain how simple and quick it is to put together reasonable foliage models, Speedtree is aptly named.  But, this ZB plugin looks very cool and I'm sure some brain cell are going to suffer as a result.

cyphyr

Hmm, that's a pain. I much prefer xFrogs system where you can distribute any model you make from scratch yourself but modified versions of their library models can't be distributed.
I'm not sure how the ZTree EULA could work here since it is a plugin for for ZBrush, maybe it uses a propriety file format within ZBrush.
Since I don't own ZBrush this is irrelevant to me anyway.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

j meyer

Richard,as far as I know the guy who made the plugin is a private person
and there are no restrictions of anykind.The plugin had no Eula at all,at least
the first time I had a play,which was some weeks ago.
Basically it's nothing but a regular Zscript.By now it's not an official plugin.
Even if it was official there wouldn't be such silly restrictions as for speedtree.