Wild Strata - Function

Started by Volker Harun, July 24, 2007, 10:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

Hi,

attached are a node-screenshot, a scene file and its render. You see some weird strata - could be that I missed something on the 'outcrops'-shader, but I like this one better  ;)

The screenshot shows the Group 'Wild Strata'.
I'll start explaining at the bottom. It is the least important part - I used it only during developing the texture on a sphere.

• Strata Output gives no colour information, it just recieves some minor displacements from the Colour+Displ.-Shader. The terrain gets some variation.
  • The same variation goes into the colour-function of the Colour-Layer above. This Shader is very unimportant
  • The Strata-Shader above is the one that gets the strata's displacement. Its blending shader sets it to be prominent only where displacement is. In other means colour here the displaced strata - or use the output of the Multiply scalar 02 for blending another colour shader.
  • In the above function-nodes, the strata and its variations are calculated.
  • The one that is called Height Variation should be tuned by 2 values only. The feature scale and the low colour. By setting the feature scale to a lower value, you should make the low colour brighter. Settings now are FS: 100, LC: 0.3125 - other possible settings are FS: 5, LC: 0.875 resulting in very small variations in height.
  • The PF called Depth Variation gives some variation to the displacement amplitude which was calculated by the sin.
  • Have fun ,)

Volker

Volker Harun

I forgot some points:
For increasing the overall step-size, you might want to decrease the high colour in the Height Variation PF. Remember to tune with a higher colour contrast.

Volker

rcallicotte

Geez.  This is awesome.  <hurrying to download>
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Volker Harun

Well, thanks - but I found a mistake.
I was fixed to one height, when creating it - and the function seems to be very height-sensitive in therms of the variations.
The higher, the more variation.

Wait with the download, I am going for new and improved version.

Volker

Volker Harun

Now it is up to you - us.
Attached is a new clipfile which places the strata - in a better way ,-)

I have a constant vector, that is set for the step-size and could be tweaked with a fractal :)

old_blaggard

Very clever and generous, Volker!  Thank you very much!
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Volker Harun

And attached is the Version 2.1 ,-)

If you need explanation, ask. I am a bit short in time right now  :D

ProjectX

You are an amazing texturer.

rcallicotte

This is quite plenty and I'll probably be asking questions later today, no matter what.

Thanks Volker. 

Volker Harun

@ProjectX - thanks - you might see a Convert / Luminance to Scalar.
This might be the one you have been searching for when you made your procedural canyons - just replace that get altitude with it and activate the colours in the second fractal terrain ,-)

Volker

Edit attached is the last version's render with moderated settings.

ProjectX

Excellent! Just what i was looking for

Volker Harun

For those who do not know, what a 'wild strata' would be good for, a preview render of a scene I am working on.
I set the strata's colour to that golden brown for better visual control. It'll be less prominent in the final render, but.

old_blaggard

Very cool displacements, Volker :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Volker Harun

Thanks old boy. ,-)
Here is a larger scale version:

rcallicotte

Thanks.  This is very realistic.