Obj Tree shows up as single object, but won't in population

Started by Kivak, September 08, 2014, 09:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kivak

Hi everyone!

I am brand new to Terragen and I am having some problems with my Obj trees. The title describes it all. I can show this tree as a single object without problem (well, I had to manually set opacity on the leaves). But when I import this same object as a population, it doesn't show up. But it appears based on the little dots (rather than bounding boxes) that it is doing something... When I add a single tree to the scene, it appears perfect and at the right height.

Any ideas what's up?

yossam

There is a little blue box at the top of the UI, click it and select wire frame. Also you might need to change the spacing on the population. It is probably at 10, change it to 5,5 and see if they show up. Welcome to the forum, enjoy the best piece of software on the market (IMO).

Kivak

Hi Yossam!

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, setting to 5,5 spacing didn't work. I may have not explained the situation correctly so I am attaching a new image. I added a single instance of the tree (top of the object list) which was imported and set identical to how the population object was. Notice how the single instance renders fine, but the population doesn't render any trees. I don't think it is a spacing issue (as I can't see a single tree wireframe in the population even after repopulating).'

Thanks as well for the welcome! I am really enjoying it after spending a few days in the free version first. Unfortunately, my Xfrog objects were purchased in Vue/XFR format, so I have to manually convert from XFR to Obj and this is what I get. :(

yossam

Kivak

Correct. I opened it in xfrog and exported it as an obj file.

yossam

zaxxon

Looks like you changed the "spacing variation" rather then the "object spacing".  The fields immediately above "variation" Try" object spacing:" at 1X1 and see what happens.

Dune

The population can be seen in the light blue area, so it's there. Strange that it doesn't render. A tgd would be quite helpful indeed.

Kivak

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay, these past couple days have been dripping with real life problems so I haven't been able to get on.

The model in question is not mine to distribute, so I am going to do the same with a free model from the same source so I can be kind to the seller. :)

Kivak

Ok, this was created in the exact same method with xFrog's free autumn plant. I converted the XFR to an Obj using Xfrog, then imported it into Terragen 3.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27946381/Tree_Test.zip

Hope this helps! I am at a total loss. :(

yossam

There is no .mtl file with the .obj...........

I am waiting on Poseray...........if it don't run out of memory first. (Poseray ran out of memory looking for the .mtl)

TBC

I got the population to load and show up................I just need the .mtl.   :)

Kivak

Quote from: yossam on September 10, 2014, 09:08:04 PM
There is no .mtl file with the .obj...........

I am waiting on Poseray...........if it don't run out of memory first. (Poseray ran out of memory looking for the .mtl)

TBC

I got the population to load and show up................I just need the .mtl.   :)

Wow really?!! Here's the mtl file (oops!!): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27946381/AL19a.zip

Can't wait to find out what you did!!

yossam

Click on your objects button at the top, that will give you a list of objects in your scene on the left hand side. Click on the Pop AL19a.obj. That will open the information box for the population below. Go down to Object maker and change it to AL19a.obj_1.

You should have a tree population after you hit Populate now.  :)

Kivak

Quote from: yossam on September 10, 2014, 10:21:23 PM
Click on your objects button at the top, that will give you a list of objects in your scene on the left hand side. Click on the Pop AL19a.obj. That will open the information box for the population below. Go down to Object maker and change it to AL19a.obj_1.

You should have a tree population after you hit Populate now.  :)

Wooooow!! I can't believe it was that simple. You're awesome man! Thanks so much for the help!! Now I can actually use my assets! :)