"Last lights" short animation project (finished movie in page 17)

Started by Kadri, September 17, 2014, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Since 1.5 months i am working on a new animation.
It begun as a very basic test in that the camera was making a pan around those monuments in this scene:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,16725.msg163194.html#msg163194

When i was waiting for the renders i begun to think if i can make this or that too and suddenly it got out of control.
Now it looks more like a short (under 1 minute) film.

I am still rendering and working on it.
But this time i am very sure that i will finish it because this last 1.5 months with all the rendering and
despite this or that problem it was the most fun i had in a long time.
And i still have fun working on it.

It is made with Terragen and Lightwave.

It will not a 100 % finished animation because of some flickering etc. but more like a very(!)polished test.
Anyway you will see it for yourself when it is ready.
It is roughly 70-80 % finished already.

For now some stills :

archonforest

I like the stills already. Cant wait to see the anim :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

yossam

Kadri

I made a small teaser guys. Should be ready in under one hour in Vimeo.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

yossam

Oshyan

Ooo, looks promising! I love that you're animating the object and using TG features for effects. I think the large object falls too quickly for its apparent size (judging by the trees), and it loses some of that sense of impressive scale because of that, but otherwise it's great. Also if you're doing motion blur in TG, I suggest trying the 2D blur if you're not already using it. Quality is quite good, especially in a situation like this, and it's a lot faster. If you want any other render setting suggestions let me know. :)

- Oshyan

Kadri

Thanks Oshyan.
Regarding the speed of the fall ,you are not the first who said it. It might be a little too fast.
Still not sure if i should change it because i like the way it is now :)

2D motion blur is a little harder-different when i try to make crop renders. It blurs the edges of the crop region too Oshyan.

Oshyan

True, but just don't use motion blur on crops I guess, eh? Harder to get the sense of the 2D blur perhaps. If you have Deep + Animation you can output render layers and put out motion vectors and depth, and then you can use the Image File Processor node to do the blur *after* rendering, and adjust the strength if desired...

- Oshyan

Kadri

Good to know Oshyan i didn't know that you can do that :)

Oshyan

Yes, the Image File Processor is a little-known node but rather cool. It also allows you to do the built-in post processing stuff (highlight clip, contrast, gamma) as a post effect if you have output an EXR file. This lets you experiment more with those settings, which is nice.

- Oshyan

Kadri

Nice.
One very basic looking feature i really liked was the animated crop option.
I didn't cared much about it until this project.
When 1 frame takes over 1 hour and you see here or there too much flickering and when you made errors etc. it is a real time saver.
I made many animated crop renders and comped them over the originals.