"Last lights" short animation project (finished movie in page 17)

Started by Kadri, September 17, 2014, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Small update with a still image.
Still working on it.
With 2 scenes fully finished it is over 33 seconds now.
I think it will be longer then 1 minute. Maybe more like 2 even.

Kadri

Now i have a problem.
Those craters don't move-rotate with the Planet .
"Translate textures with planet" and "Rotate textures with planet" is checked.
Have anyone tried this before?

Oshyan

Kadri

Not sure but i think i created them in the planet node by right clicking and choosing the Crater node.
Does it matter for the outcome Oshyan?

Oshyan

Yes, it does. Crater nodes are like the Simple Shape Shader. See how they both have an explicit Position or Center coordinate set? These are not moved with the planet regardless because they have an explicit position. You need to manually Translate them to get them to move. You can use a Transform Input shader for this.

- Oshyan

Dune

But it would be intriguing; an animation of moving craters  :o

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on September 23, 2014, 03:20:34 AM
But it would be intriguing; an animation of moving craters  :o

Yes but when you render for 1 hour and then see them growing ,
moving and disappearing after 1-2 hours of work it feels more like "what the...heck" :D

Thanks Oshyan. I will see if it works for the scene. If not i will move the camera and comp it later.
Maybe moving the camera is even better because i will get more motion blur.
Object motion blur would be very nice in the future really.

Matt

Quote from: Oshyan on September 23, 2014, 01:26:58 AM
Yes, it does. Crater nodes are like the Simple Shape Shader. See how they both have an explicit Position or Center coordinate set? These are not moved with the planet regardless because they have an explicit position. You need to manually Translate them to get them to move. You can use a Transform Input shader for this.

- Oshyan

This interpretation isn't quite correct.

Any shader that can be affected by a transform shader is affected by the "rotate textures with planet" and "translate textures with planet" attributes. In fact, internally these options are implemented using a Transform Merge Shader.

A Crater Shader should be affected by these things. It does when I try it in a default scene.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Is the shader after the Compute Terrain node? Shaders after the Compute Terrain node aren't affected by those translate/rotate options on the planet, because Compute Terrain sets its own texture coordinates for all nodes that come afterwards. A similar problem occurs if you use a Warp Shader or Transform Shader after the Compute Terrain node.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

It is good that you posted too Matt because it was more confusing then i wrote actually.
I just don't wanted to go further because i am already using only the camera for the move and will later comp the scene.

The confusing part wasn't too much clear to me because of the many craters i used (that picture is from a earlier state).

I ripped the scene to the basic parts and tried it with a "Compute Terrain" and a "Crater node" only.

*When the "Crater node" is after the "Compute Terrain" you can easily click on the 3D preview window and place the crater.
- But with that configuration the crater don't move with the planet unfortunately.

*When you use the "Compute Terrain" after the "Crater node" i don't know if it works.
  Unfortunately with this configuration you can not place the "Crater node"'s by clicking on the preview window.
  At least i could not see them. Maybe thinking along the way you wrote about the "Compute Terrain" node they
  are placed somewhere else in the scene?

I tried with the check boxes OFF in the planet node and the "Compute Terrain" before and after the crater node , but that didn't worked too of course.
I tried some other few combinations with Transform input and merge shader with different settings here and there but all were problematic.

Matt what would be the best way to use a crater node to have it move with
the planet and to place it in the easiest way on the planet at the same time?
Or is the easiest way for now to use a image based approach for craters if you want a moving planet ?

Dune

What if you use a crater made with a simple shape combi?

Kadri

I was just going to test it Ulco but i had another funny problem.
I tried to right click and copy paste the coordinates  but it didn't worked.
"Paste coordinates" was greyed out.
It is the first time i saw this.
I tried this and that but no difference.
I thought that is was maybe a problem unrelated to Terragen and the first thing to try was to close the
TightViewer  window (i use it to control the other computers in our home network for rendering).
Edit: http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php  very nice , easy to setup and to use program.
Then copy and paste worked ones again.
Not sure if it is always a problem because i use it for a long time.
Anyway...

Had no time to test it after that Ulco.

Kadri

Just tested your suggestion Ulco and it looks like it
works as it should be with a "Simple shape shader".
Just putting a "Simple shape shader" after the "Crater node" was enough and
it worked with the "Compute terrain" before and after that nodes too.

Dune

Kadri

Today i had another problem.
After i rendered the small moon animation there were problematic parts in nearly 100 frames.
They are in different parts of the image mostly.
I tried to manually correct them.
It was tolerable in some places but in the very obvious parts i had to give up.

[attachimg=1]

I tried many different options for a full day. But could not find a real solution at first.
It is probably related to high displacement but i didn't wanted to change the look much.

In the end i found the solution kinda in a brute force approach in that
i used the "360 degree detail (highest)" (was too afraid to loose time ones again and haven't tried "optimal")
option in the "Ray detail region" setting in the render node.

Now i am rendering 200 frames ones again.It looks OK so far.

So if you see something like that and have trouble maybe it helps guys.