"Last lights" short animation project (finished movie in page 17)

Started by Kadri, September 17, 2014, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

This scene in the third part of the animation was hard.
I changed it 3 times after nearly all of them were finished rendering.
It took nearly 3 weeks for only 6-12 seconds...

I changed for this part to Lightwave for more control of the scene
with the lights (excluding objects from the lights for example) and for some special effects with
hypervoxels and bullet dynamics that aren't shown in this still image from the animation that is still rendering.

There is still Terragen in it because i exported the small moon and the other lower part as objects from Terragen to use in Lightwave.

If this scene renders without problem there are only 2 parts left to finish.

Dune

You're making me terribly curious...

Kadri

:)
The hard part wasn't only because the scene was -only-hard to do Ulco.
I think we talked about this earlier too but sometimes a scene that you think will be
very easy to do doesn't come together as you wish it should.
Like the angle of the camera or the ground that doesn't want to look like you want it to be etc.
Then there are scenes you think will take 1-2 weeks but are finished in 1-2 days.
There is another part after this one for example that i thought would be very hard to do but i really finished it in 2 days.

Nacer Eddine

good continuation kadri
but why you don't use 3dmax its easy to do that ?

Kadri

Thanks Nacer.
I don't like Max and as i said i use Lightwave to do some of the scenes.
Not sure how to say it Nacer but making an animation is easy.
What is hard is to make is a good animation.
That was my problem.
It isn't anything related to Max, Lightwave or Terragen.
It is about me basically.
I didn't like the outcome of my first tries.
Actually the very first-in Lightwave- was to hard to handle.
It took hours to calculate for the simulation of the bullet dynamics.
I am not willing to work more then needed for this animation and want it fast to finish but at the same time over a certain quality.
Anyway...

I don't like the last render that is finished too actually.
The reason to use Lightwave isn't much obvious in the finished animation.
A good compositor could have made work the first and this last one much better.
But i have to let it go.

Kadri

I wasn't going to post this but whatever...

This is the scene i abandoned.

https://vimeo.com/108229063

It wasn't finished. I had an explosion ready to comp on the far other side too for example.
The moon and the landscape is Terragen here.The smoke Lightwave.
These 3 parts were rendered separately.
The moon that flybys is a scene in that the moon was still and the camera moved.

I like the feel of the camera move but not enough to use it.

I am not so keen on the camera move and the look of the landscape in the
new version (last image above) but the scene works a little better then this one.

yossam

Kadri

Rendered a little part (crash-explosion) ones more with some changes and this time it is kinda acceptable.
Moving on to the last 2 parts of the animation.

Oshyan

I think that actually looks quite cool. Good enough for inclusion IMHO.

- Oshyan

Kadri

After talking to Oshyan about this scene he convinced me to use
the one i posted here and the new one together in the finished animation by editing them as needed.
Always good to hear fresh and reasonable views ;)
So it might not be abandoned at all in the end.

Oshyan

Glad to hear that Kadri. I think it's a nice chance to do some film-style editing and get some more sophisticated intercutting in there of different shots. Quite honestly the lack of multiple camera angles, and the tendency by many (myself included!) to do just a long flythrough of a scene is one of the things that I think detracts from many Terragen animations. They're not "cinematic" sometimes, partly for that reason I think, and it should be fairly easily remedied. In your case it might also end up being a nice way to not waste footage you've already created. :)

- Oshyan

Kadri

Quote from: Oshyan on October 07, 2014, 07:46:52 PM
... Quite honestly the lack of multiple camera angles, and the tendency by many (myself included!)
to do just a long flythrough of a scene is one of the things that I think detracts from many Terragen animations...

That urge is always hard to resist and mostly cut short only by render times :)

Quote from: Oshyan on October 07, 2014, 07:46:52 PM
In your case it might also end up being a nice way to not waste footage you've already created...

Yep feels great :)

Dune

I really like the scene, and it's good that you continue with it. Regarding the flyby's; I can imagine with the long time it takes for an animation to render one wants movement, and progress, but a quiet turn, or some shots fading into eachother may be more interesting indeed.