WIP. Moab, Utah.

Started by TheBadger, September 21, 2014, 12:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Wow that rock formation is just unreal. Very cool place!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

TheBadger

Still scratching at some fundamentals. But I'm inching closer.

It has been eaten.

choronr

Looks good Michael. You need to set your surface color to a rusty red/orange; and, set the gamma to 1.9.

Bob

mhaze

Getting better all the time but it seems overexposed.

TheBadger

Thanks a lot guys!

Have not even thought about light and color really. I am singularly focused on displacement and distribution. The color that is there was just dropped in to help make is easier for me to see whats happening on the terrain.

As soon as I am happy with the forms, I will get the color and such nice and pretty.

@ choronr
Quoteset the gamma to 1.9.

That is a very specific number and subject. I don't think that I have messed with gamma very often. What is it that you see that gamma would fix?
It has been eaten.

choronr

Coupled with 'Red sky decay' (increase default of 2 to 3.2). This gives you a reasonably good looking image in Red rock country. And, lower the sun while decreasing your sun strength (unless you're going to have a lot of clouds).

AP

Here is another good sample that may emphasize better the structures that you are after.

TheBadger

^^ Yes. And its not so easy.
It has been eaten.

AP

I was tinkering around with this and the scales need adjusting, more sharpness and flattened but maybe it is of some use?

Wurby

Southern utah is an excellent place to terrgenerate, gotta say. I'm a Utahn myself, and would have to say that the two previous pictures posted are both extremes of the color reality. Dead horse point has more color than the 2nd picture shows, but the first is yeah, too saturated.

Can't wait to get my silly PC back up and running, it's been two years since I terragen'd, and my fingers are getting itchy to get back into this wonderful program. :D

Anyone been to capital reef? There's an area of that national park that my family has nicknamed "the moon" due to lack of vegetation and... well, there's craters and sand everywhere in lovely hues of white and gray. We had a german exchange student almost go into a panic while we drove through it, (there was no one on the road and it takes over an hour to drive through.) because he kept thinking "what if we broke down?".

Can't wait to see the finished product Badger!
Life's hard. Life's harder if you're stupid.

choronr

While staying in Blanding we took a ride to Capitol Reef at mid afternoon. By the time we got there we thought we better not stay too long or else it would be totally dark before we got back to Blanding. As I recall, there is only one place (1/2 way between these two points) where one could make a stop for food and fuel. It gets so dark out here at night you can hardly see your hand in front of your face.

Dune

I changed some stuff in Chris' file. Very simple, but for one side it'll keep you busy adjusting this.

AP