Montain view v3

Started by Antoine, September 25, 2014, 12:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine

It is a simple scene but the mountain took me some times to work in. I hope it is good enough for this kind of scene.

David.

archonforest

Very nice render. Like the colors and the details. ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Cocateho

That mountain looks kick@$$! The few little leaves left hanging on the thee adds a nice level of realism, although the front foreground might fit in better with a late fall/winter color palette?

masonspappy

Dune

I agree with my fellow posters, but also would like to know how you made the mountain, WM? Did you use a painted shader to get the snow in the finer gullies? There just a tiny bit of stretching of the snow near the top of the mountain where you displace the snow layer up, perhaps due to a (too) fine mask. And, IMHO, it seems a bit like a toy landscape, a small area with a 'big' landscape, which is nice in itself, but if you strive for reality some more haze would probably increase that.

Antoine

Thank you for your comments !
I did originally build the terrain in World Machine. Also I made use of a flow map and manually painted shader to place the snow (apart from the top). The streching at the top is perhaps due to a low slope fuzzy zone setting.
I will post an update as soon as I can.

David.

Oshyan

The built up snow/ice on the "mountain" is really quite excellent. I put mountain in quotes only because I do get an odd, slightly confusing sense of scale from that mountain and I'm not totally sure why. Adding a bit more haze could help, but also I think perhaps something to do with the scales of the shapes on the mountain (some of it anyway). But still it is quite a nice scene.

- Oshyan

Dune

Antoine

Here is an update, I hope it is better.

David

Oshyan

A definite improvement! I do think some additional, contextual roughness on the mountain would be good, or adjust the textures so that they do not appear to be entirely composed of rock. If all of that is rock, I expect some more detail and jagged edges in some places, some higher roughness (even Yosemite with its huge, smooth rock monuments has this). The sheer scale and simplistic "connectedness" of those cracks is also unusual (though not unquestionably unrealistic); perhaps consider some cracks that do not interconnect so much, or aren't quite as long (I think this may be affecting the sense of scale).

But overall this is already a great image. Well done!

- Oshyan

Dune

I agree, this is way better, but you should patch the huge cracks and/or decrease their size. Or add several sizes of cracks (transform merge shader).

otakar

Completely agree with the two comments above. Other than that this is a fine improvement over the original version and I have to say I love the almost bare trees and yellow leaves. Great render!

DannyG

Nice use of WM and flow masks. As mentioned above the scale seems off due to the cracks and depth of the snow. Still looking good man ^^
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Antoine

Thank you all !
Yes these cracks were out of scale and too pronounced. I have tried to fix this and also lowered the sun position.

David.