Terragen 3 Benchmark released

Started by Oshyan, October 02, 2014, 08:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Thanks for the correction, I have updated that info.

- Oshyan

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Just FYI, I did get my RAM running at 1600MHz, and it took my TG3 time down to 4:16 from 4:22, so 6 seconds gain in performance (not bad).  I submitted my result to the form, and noticed it was there at the bottom.  ;)

Oshyan

Yeah, we have to manually sort that spreadsheet. We are notified whenever new submissions are made, but sometimes it takes a little while for us to re-sort it. I'll do that shortly.

- Oshyan

jaf

Is the new benchmark on the horizon?  Why not "throw it out" to the group here and let us build, tear apart, and build again.  I'm pretty sure most of us want to see Planetside work on bugs and new features, so letting the community do the majority of the benchmark prep ideal.

Make some guidelines.... TG4 1.18.1 the base -- a person should be able to purchase TG4 and load and render the benchmark without error.  Try to include the features added after TG3.  Not sure if the free version of TG4 should be included or not -- probably should so a new buyer can have a good idea how his/her computer will respond.  New benchmark gets final approval from Planetside.

Just a thought and I think it would be educational -- different ideas, pros and cons, etc.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

jaf

Well, I guess no one cares.

I use the benchmark to audit my system once-in-a-while to see if there's any slowdown (especially now with the Spectre and Meltdown chip flaws.)   Though I have an AMD processor, I still see it could have problems (some say AMD's are clean, others, they aren't.)  TG is a major part of my owning a desktop computer.

I did update my bios a few days ago so that got me thinking about the promised benchmark (when I purchased TG4.)
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

I'm just replying to show I care.  I read your last post, and was waiting for some replies as well.  Forum seems less active lately.  Maybe everyone is busy being employed.  heh.

Anyway, maybe you should post once more.  Your current post number might offend someone.  ;)

Dune

A lot of us here can make a benchmark scene, no doubt. Shouldn't be hard, should it? Some basic river scene maybe, with some simple cliff hanging over, a few fake stones, a distorted cube again, some (free) shrub, grass and/or trees and a v3 sky?

archonforest

Quote from: Dune on February 27, 2018, 02:14:39 AM
A lot of us here can make a benchmark scene, no doubt. Shouldn't be hard, should it? Some basic river scene maybe, with some simple cliff hanging over, a few fake stones, a distorted cube again, some (free) shrub, grass and/or trees and a v3 sky?
Exactly and just send it to PS for a fast approval and we have it.... I would be interested to do one but I am not very good on making nice cliffs or rocks...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

Creating a good benchmark scene that actually does a good job of testing a variety of Terragen features and giving a representative value for a broad range of computer hardware is more challenging than you might think. Not so much in the sense of actually building the scene, but as far as determining how to build it, what to put it in it, what render settings, etc. Combine that with other constraints or desires, such as including object files (size of download then becomes a concern, usage rights, compressibility, etc.). Basically there are a lot of factors that are not so obvious and are particular to benchmarking, as opposed to just making a "nice looking scene".

That being said, we could potentially open it up to submissions, scenes that people were happy to share and did not mind being redistributed for the purposes of benchmarking. But we would have to take any submitted scenes and evaluate them for suitability, likely adjusting settings (especially render settings), and adding or removing things as-needed. It might be less work, it might not be, hard to say. But we might get a prettier end-result scene. ;)

Anyway, we have not spent a ton of time on the benchmark of late, but it's on the list of things to tackle in the next month or two. Once I do dive into it, it will not take weeks, so you needn't worry it's taking a lot of time away from other things. If there is genuine interest from multiple people in submitting scenes for possible use as a benchmark, I'll discuss with Matt and see if he's amenable to that, and if so what general criteria we'd want submissions to adhere to. But we'd want to see at least a couple of people throwing their hat in on submissions to take that route I think. If not we'll just do the scene internally, it will be simple, but will showcase a reasonable variety of TG functions, and will accomplish the other more technical goals.

- Oshyan

jaf

In my previous life (seems like previous because it was close to 40 years ago) I had the job of writing ATP's for a major military flight simulation contract.  As Oshyan wrote, it's not easy.  The benchmark should feature the changes from TG3 to 4 and the database would be an asset to potential customers as to the capability of their system (for using TG4 -- Edit.)

Just thought it would offload the task from the Planetside staff and be an interesting project.

Dune

I can understand this. So I won't burn myself on it.

This might be a silly idea, but what about having a contest/challenge to build the TG4 Benchmark scene.  Maybe wait for the Cliff Challenge to finish up, or maybe not, but it might be a good exercise to see what many different TG users come up with.  It would be helpful to know what new features in TG4 should be tested in the benchmark scene.  For example, isn't Cloud Layer v3 new in TG4?

Just thinking out loud...

Derek 

jaf

That might work ... have to stay away from imported objects/terrains and have a resolution and memory size limits.  Should it run on the free version?  If it did, a person not owning TG4 could still evaluate it.

I really think a collaborative effort, where everyone could run the same scene as it developed, would work better  So many diverse talents like nodes/terrain texturing, clouds, lighting, water, etc. that could contribute.

I do have my own system of auditing my system (for TG rendering) by simply using the Project Settings.  If there's a major change to my hardware or software, I can load a TG4 scene, render it, and compare the results.  I keep a text file (Signature) so I can know what hardware configuration I originally rendered it on.

Oshyan

Yes, we'd want to test v3 clouds, and we actually do want to include at least 1 actual external object this time as it is of course something commonly used in TG. It should be a relatively small (file size) object though.

Being able to run in the Free version is a definite requirement, and that sets up specific render resolution limits too, of course.

Anyway, after discussion with Matt internally, I think we may want to use (or include elements from) one or more user's scenes. We'll figure out exactly how we want to tackle that soon. Probably not a contest or open collaboration though as once again we'll have very specific goals and that would probably be too chaotic and challenging to coordinate. But the feedback and ideas are definitely appreciated!

- Oshyan

jaf