Ball's Pyramid

Started by bigben, October 09, 2014, 09:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Working on a project with Museum Victoria, helping them with a 3d reconstruction of a small island for a museum display. The model worked better than expected so I thought I'd try a quick visualisation in TG. Yes it can use some foam around the island, but I'm pretty happy with the result. The island is an OBJ, 6.9M faces, 4 x 8192px textures. Produced from 54 photos (every 4th shot from what they supplied me) shot from a boat. Agisoft Photoscan.

I also produced a geotiff but there are too many overhangs on this island to get a decent result from that.

Kadri

Looks good and interesting island Ben.
It looks nearly like a blade stabbed from below.

Dune

Interesting way to make an island, but the result is very nice!

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bigben

Oshyan

Hey, that's the place with those crazy, giant (endangered) stick insects. Nice!

- Oshyan

bigben

Put the image on our work iPad and showed it to another techie.  Knowing I was into photogrammetry he mentioned that it would be a cool island to make a model of.  ;D  ... another mind suitably blown.

bigben

A couple of quick additions of some extra data... SRTM and bathymetry (not that you can see the latter). Sadly the "mountains" on Lord Howe island are rather rounded from the lack of resolution and I had to do a bit of tweaking of the bathymetry data to restrict it to a max. of-5m. Found a low res aerial image of the island and you can just make out the airport on the right. Should at least be able to make some masks from it. Needs more haze (they're ~20km apart) and some localised clouds to give them their typical cloudy caps.

Kadri

The island looks great on the last one.

bigben

I'm kinda hoping I can convince them to do some aerial mapping of Lord Howe Island. Then it could get very interesting.

RogueNZ

That's an amazing land form  8)

Dune

That turned out extremely photographic, Ben. Some foam will make it quite perfect. What's that dark patch in the centre down; a shadow from an overhang or dark rock slab?

bigben

There's a couple of dark sections that may be the result of shadows in the original photos and a combination of overhangs and dark rock. I adjusted the photos that were shot into the sun quite a lot to lighten the shadow detail for the photogrammetry, as their camera was on auto. The sun would have been behind and off to the left in the bottom image. Weather restricted shooting to one time of the day, although they've taken some more since.  Shooting on a cloudy day would be better although in this case a cloudy day usually means an orographic cloud sitting on top of the island. 

I'm hoping these images will demonstrate the potential of reusing the data they're collecting for other virtual displays as well as the large model that's being printed/sculpted. Next versions will have to have some foam. I'd also like to remove the water altogether and show the underwater terrain, but getting the transition from "high" res dem above the water to low res dem below is difficult in this case and may require some manual "sculpting" or masked displacements.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

SergVM

Quote from: bigben on October 09, 2014, 09:24:06 AM
Working on a project with Museum Victoria, helping them with a 3d reconstruction of a small island for a museum display. The model worked better than expected so I thought I'd try a quick visualisation in TG. Yes it can use some foam around the island, but I'm pretty happy with the result. The island is an OBJ, 6.9M faces, 4 x 8192px textures. Produced from 54 photos (every 4th shot from what they supplied me) shot from a boat. Agisoft Photoscan.

I also produced a geotiff but there are too many overhangs on this island to get a decent result from that.
Hello, I am working on same project for my own. Could you send me these fotos ? I saw much photos and videos but didnt see good enough for Agisoft