Wetness final

Started by choronr, October 14, 2014, 11:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

Very nice improvement, looking forward to the finale!

choronr

Quote from: zaxxon on October 15, 2014, 09:27:34 PM
Very nice improvement, looking forward to the finale!
Thank you zaxxon, I've made one more test to be sure of the new settings.

choronr

Here is another quick test to be sure of the darker settings; I kind of like them, But note, the small orange lights on the front of the truck did not show up. This is crazy; they did show up on the earlier smaller crop of the truck alone ...???

Oshyan

It might be a detail/resolution issue as they're quite small (if they are what I think you are referring to in the previous image).

I think the current level of shadow darkness looks pretty good, and realistic. I do see that the line along the water's edge appears to be back? Also not sure if you did anything about making the water in the ditch less transparent (I think some murky, muddy water could be good actually), or darkening the surface under the water...

Overall looks good.

- Oshyan

folder

very good image Bob your skills have grown greatly - always look foreward to seeing what is next

david

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on October 15, 2014, 10:53:41 PM
It might be a detail/resolution issue as they're quite small (if they are what I think you are referring to in the previous image).

I think the current level of shadow darkness looks pretty good, and realistic. I do see that the line along the water's edge appears to be back? Also not sure if you did anything about making the water in the ditch less transparent (I think some murky, muddy water could be good actually), or darkening the surface under the water...

Overall looks good.

- Oshyan

This cropped render was made at low quality (0.225/0.2). Maybe when I do the final at 0.77/0.7, those small lights may appear. Yes, the water line in the verge/gully is back as a result of the tracks I think. On the last full render, I took the .bmp and saved as a .jpg; and, went ahead and clone-stamped the water line out.

Yes, I darkened the Sub-surface Volume 1 color (dark brownish) but it didn't do much good. I don't want to change the surface under water as it will have a negative effect elsewhere.

choronr

Quote from: folder on October 16, 2014, 12:30:15 AM
very good image Bob your skills have grown greatly - always look foreward to seeing what is next

david
Thanks David. Really, if it wasn't for the good help and patience by many of the fellows here on the forum, I'd be taking up another hobby.

Oshyan

Try increasing Volume 1 Density to about 5 then try a color of R: 188, G: 171, B: 141 (or H:38, S:24, B: 73). A medium-ish brown. Don't go too dark I'd say. That should give you fairly natural-looking muddy water, which would seem to fit your scene I think. If it's too murky for your taste, reduce Volume1 density, but not too much. It should (IMO) be semi-opaque.

- Oshyan

choronr

Quote from: Oshyan on October 16, 2014, 01:38:56 AM
Try increasing Volume 1 Density to about 5 then try a color of R: 188, G: 171, B: 141 (or H:38, S:24, B: 73). A medium-ish brown. Don't go too dark I'd say. That should give you fairly natural-looking muddy water, which would seem to fit your scene I think. If it's too murky for your taste, reduce Volume1 density, but not too much. It should (IMO) be semi-opaque.

- Oshyan
Thank you Oshyan. Good suggestion, I will give that a try. Right now I was playing with the decay tint color to see what comes up - it is rendering right now. I won't save and try your numbers. Hopefully I'll get this done before bedtime; otherwise I'll be back tomorrow.

Bob

Dune

Another easy option is to add a surface shader after the water shader and have it at 0.2 coverage with some murky color (without or with fractal breakup, for smooth or fractalized look).

choronr

Quote from: Dune on October 16, 2014, 02:47:53 AM
Another easy option is to add a surface shader after the water shader and have it at 0.2 coverage with some murky color (without or with fractal breakup, for smooth or fractalized look).
Thank you Ulco, looks like my late night will be extended with some tests. Rendering right now and will be doing some comparisons. We're getting close to the final. And, thank you so much for all your help along the way to help form this project.

Bob

Dune

You're welcome, Bob. Anyway, you can always croprender the gully bit and paste over.

choronr

Quote from: Dune on October 16, 2014, 02:57:39 AM
You're welcome, Bob. Anyway, you can always croprender the gully bit and paste over.
Just finished the test render; and, the results looks a bit 'milky'. Will try your suggestion next. May not have results till tomorrow morning. Will get back to you.

TheBadger

Really getting into the nitty gritty here Bob. Some interesting things your trying to work out. Nice image by the way.
It has been eaten.

EoinArmstrong

This is fabulous, Bob - one of the most realistic renders using an imported (non-foliage!) object I've seen :)