Ben Nevis WIP

Started by bigben, July 25, 2007, 11:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Thanks Oshyan...  yes I was aware of it, but I'd never seen it have such substantial effects... but then again I haven't tried this level of displacement over a large terrain either ;)  I'm leaving it out and using my imagination for where I'm going to slot it back in later...

rcallicotte

Ben, I've read mention of "scales" before.  What do you mean in this case?

Quote from: bigben on August 02, 2007, 07:40:34 PM
Hi Calico.

That's where it gets a bit tricky.... The smaller details in the last few are a bit noisy, but this was handled later by tweaking the "cracked face" scales. The render is up reasonably close, so the large displacements are toob big for my liking.  I don't think I have the next set of renders still, but I'm about to redo the cracked face scaling now that I've sorted out  some of the other issues (mostly related to a shader using "intersect underlying").

Added a 1m sphere for scaling. I'll post that sequence next week.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bigben

In this case reducing the size of the displacement to make the surface a bit smoother.  The cracked face setup is quite useful in the way it can be customised but it can also get a bit complex, especially as it is dependent on the underlying terrain.   The main thing I found at the start was that the size of the cells were really big for a real life DEM, although I've started increasing the size a bit again