Bright line along the coast?

Started by russe166, October 26, 2014, 06:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russe166

Hi!

There is a bright line along the coast and I want to get rid of it. But I have not found a solution yet and could need some help.

yossam

Looks like a "wet" shader to me. Did you add a layer to show the shoreline?

russe166

Just a lake with "Decay distance = 600" and PFv3 for simple terrain.

bobbystahr

Quote from: russe166 on October 26, 2014, 12:18:54 PM
Just a lake with "Decay distance = 600" and PFv3 for simple terrain.

have you tried less depth...like maybe 100 to start...I got rid of it by lowering the number to 60 in a test.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Oooops...didn't see your .tgd...made my own,, testing yours now
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

fleetwood

The line seems to be related to the transparency setting of the water shader. If you set the transparency to 0 there is no bright line at the shore.

russe166

Quote from: fleetwood on October 26, 2014, 09:10:42 PM
The line seems to be related to the transparency setting of the water shader. If you set the transparency to 0 there is no bright line at the shore.

This would solve the problem but I would like to keep the transparency and the Decay distance of 600 as well.

fleetwood

I guess it's down to what rendering price you will pay for the effect you are looking for.

In your example tgd the transparency is set at 2.0 . In my understanding 1.0 would be full transparency for simulating  water. If that is the case using a value of 2 is a not a real world water setting. Of course you can enter any number you want, but the way I look at it, if you use non real world settings you can expect to deal with non real world effects.

From such a camera height maybe colored water with a lower transparency would still give you something acceptable as well as rendering faster. Same with decay distance. 600 meters may be beyond any real life ocean. NOAA says almost all light is absorbed in the first 200 meters of the ocean.

russe166

Thanks for your help! Now it looks better  :)

bobbystahr

good thread...I like the ones that solve problems best
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New