Uneligible entry

Started by Dune, October 30, 2014, 03:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

A request from Danny,  to be used to promote this super contest. All internal stuff from TG3, no fancy extra's. I hope this board will be filled to the brim!

mhaze

Nice Landscape Dune. It has a potential the for grandeur and desolation of icy places.  I have an idea but not much time at the moment ( too many jewellery commissions with Christmas coming up!). It's a picture I want to do anyway just not sure I'll finish it in time!

Tangled-Universe

Mick, the deadline is February so I have faith you'll manage to make something nice :) ;)

Marty

Great idee for contest! And great scenes Dune! Here is a VERY INSPIRATIONAL time lapse video on Vimeo called 'Midnight Sun | Iceland'. Gives a great feel on Iceland at it's most impressive and original:  http://vimeo.com/30581015

ADE

here is one, so far.....might be completely different in the end

mhaze

TU that long OK maybe I'll finish :D

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Terrade on October 31, 2014, 12:14:26 PM
here is one, so far.....might be completely different in the end

Better make a new/separate thread to show your image/WIP Ade ;)
Keep working on it! You started early!

Quote from: mhaze on October 31, 2014, 12:36:39 PM
TU that long OK maybe I'll finish :D

Same to you Mick, get started quickly before the busy times come ;)
Then when you're busy the users will give you feedback so that you can nail it in 2015 :)

ADE

soz, thought the thread was the only thread, still cant get my head around in this forum

zaxxon

Well Ulco I'd say you hit most of the sweet spots for an 'Icelandic' scene, your early image sets a nice stage for the rest of us!  One small thought on this image; are the little sod-like structures meant to be early inhabitants? I read that the Norse first established colonies in the latter part of the 9th century, however Iceland at that time was forested with much more ground-cover, not like the open nearly treeless sparse terrain of today. So early structures presumably would have been in a much different environment. Just curious. Reading about Iceland's history and realizing that what I had thought to be a rather pristine  and severe place: that actually Iceland stands as a example of the destructive environmental practices of prior cultures; deforestation by the original settlers and continued over-grazing by sheep. One source cited the vast 'desert' that comprises much of Iceland and that the American Moon teams used Iceland to rehearse planned surface activities! I think a visit to Iceland might be added to my 'bucket-list' itinerary!

Oshyan

Wow, zaxxon you've just made me think about this whole thing in a totally different way: people could choose to depict Iceland at different points in history! I had been assuming present-day, with minimal trees, etc. but if indeed it was that much different pre-human, it would be quite an interesting take on the theme to try to visualize what it may have been like centuries or millennia ago... The lost forests of Iceland... :D

- Oshyan

zaxxon

"The Lost Forests of Iceland" I like it! Hmmm.....

Dune

Thanks Doug. Though I'm usually in some archaeaological mood, not this time. These sheds are there present day, see one of the images that Oshyan posted in another Iceland thread. They are TG cubes, by the way, with fake stones on steep slopes, grass (procedural) on the lesser slopes. Walls are cubes as well, same surface.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

You set me thinking, Doug. Experimenting now with procedural petrified treetrunks....

Dune

Petrified treetrunks, remnants from ancient Iceland, with a dead volcano in the background. I'm gonna work on the gravel and insert Jochens landrover, which is much nicer than this rover. Maybe some smoke from the crater...
Some post on the levels, but I don't know what is nicer.