Selecting within the 3D preview..........

Started by Erwin0265, November 05, 2014, 02:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erwin0265

Well, it's been a while since I posted a question (at least a day or so); so here's another question.
Is there an easy way to select something within the 3D preview window?
Rather than changing position parameters within the parameters window (terminology?) so as to move an object (for example); I prefer to use the gizmo.
However, to use the gizmo, you need to have selected the object first.
As new items generally come in at (0, 0, 0) by default, it can be difficult to click on an object in the 3D preview window directly as there can be several (or more) selectable objects in the same location.

I hope that made some slight sense.

Thanks to those that take the time to answer questions that they have answered before for the ever-flowing river of newbies wanting/needing help................
OK, who farted?

archonforest

If u right click on the 3D window u will have: "Select object or shader" or "Centre on object or shader".

Hope this helps :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Erwin0265

Oh God I LOVE this forum!!!!!
Thank you ever so much!
It's one of those things "everybody" knows, so it's not written down anywhere (at least, not for blind individuals such as myself).
You have just saved me many future hours of annoyance where I could be doing something useful; like watching TV............... ::)!

Thanks again.
Cheers

Newbies; check out the screencap below; so all you have to do is right-click and you're in.............
OK, who farted?

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

jo

Erwin0265

I tried "selecting within 3d preview" and found little of relevance..........
Sometimes it's just easier to ask (not meaning to be lazy - just honest); especially on this forum!
I made the post at 6:28 am and archonforest gave me what I needed less than 11 minutes later!
As I said; Oh God I LOVE this forum!!!!! ;D
OK, who farted?

Oshyan

It's a pretty darn good forum. :) The Wiki usually does better with simple search criteria, not multiple term. So like "selection" would be a good one to try, although of course you tend to get more results that you have to scroll through. I do hope to be able to install an improved Search function at some point in the future.

- Oshyan

zaxxon

Between the Wki and this forum there is a treasure house of resources, toss in GeekatPlay and the Terralive webinars (http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15582.msg151443.html#msg151443) and Terragen is pretty much de-mystified.

On the selection question: might be nice if the imported object came in as selected. At least for me that's the one I want to adjust anyway,