Iceland 1

Started by AP, November 04, 2014, 01:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Here is my first attempt that I had recently been working on the past four days in my spare time. Much work to be done, for one... flora. Other alterations will be considered.

Dune

Cool start. The rock on the right side is perfectly suited for a waterfall.

AP

Never done a waterfall before. It's a matter of it looking real enough to justify adding it there.

DannyG

I like the set up here. Spot on with the greens. Look forward to this one for sure
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

TheBadger

Interesting start. I like the cliffs to either side. Helps to define the comp well.
It has been eaten.

AP

Quote from: Danny on November 07, 2014, 03:12:02 PM
I like the set up here. Spot on with the greens. Look forward to this one for sure

At first I thought the small flora was too bright but after looking at references, not the case at all.

AP

Quote from: TheBadger on November 08, 2014, 01:27:56 AM
Interesting start. I like the cliffs to either side. Helps to define the comp well.

Yes. 

Dune

I actually don't know if the greens are really that bright in Iceland or if that's just the photographic enhancement/effect wanted by the photographers. You can't tell colors by checking out photo's, but as a photographic effect is needed for the competition anyway, it doesn't matter.
Oshyan can probably tell us (though he was there in winter). Anybody else been there?

Oshyan

Yes, I was there in late winter/early spring so I can't really say for sure how it is in spring or summer. I do have a hard time believing that many of the Iceland images are not somewhat enhanced though. The images I have seen of things I did see while I was there have almost always been enhanced (and indeed many of my images have some amount of enhancement too, though I try to stick to adjustments that I feel reflect what I saw or felt when I took the shot). So I am not sure things are *quite* as bright and *saturated* as many photos show, but still it is a quite uniquely colored, and high contrast landscape overall. Indeed, if there was anything I would emphasize it is the contrasts and how sharp and unexpected (and seemingly unnatural) they can be.

- Oshyan

AP

Changing directions rather drastically. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Oshyan

Interesting. I think I like the new one better. The snow and strata on those distant mountains is quite nice. Need to see the foreground develop and become a bit more distinctive before I know quite what to think of that... It's a good start in another direction though, I think.

- Oshyan

AP

Not certain as to what I want to do with the foreground over what I have now.

Dune

Yes, I like this better as well. A bit on the dark side maybe, and you need irregularity in the cones. A lower POV maybe for some more defined definition/close up view of the foreground.

FrankB

I think the low clouds are in a difficult position in this image. If they would have smaller features, be lower, and would be positioned in a way so that they do not obstruct a clean view upon the valley, then this could make a big difference.

Do volcano opening like these really exist on Iceland or anywhere? I should not be surprised, Iceland is full of unique wonder, but still curious.

Cheers
Frank

Oshyan

Why yes, they do. :D
http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/image/72941048

I didn't see any myself though, I think they're more in the North or interior, which was less accessible when I was there in the spring.

- Oshyan