Northern Lights

Started by zaxxon, November 07, 2014, 12:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

The lure of portraying the aurora borealis is to too challenging to pass up. I think if I were to go to Iceland it's the northern lights that would draw me most, so here's my first go at the atmospherics. I think I'll add a starfield to peek thru. Still looking for that sheet like structure at this point. The composition is just a study.

choronr

Back in 2011, Markal (Mark) and I worked together to try and replicate an aurora. Have a look. I still have the .tgd if you are interested, I'd be glad to share. Link: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,11825.msg119782.html#msg119782 .

zaxxon

Amazingly cool renders Bob! I grabbed the tgd's on that thread, if you have additional ones I'd really like to see them. I have a bunch of images that are really tempting to try to emulate, if I can.

choronr

Quote from: zaxxon on November 07, 2014, 01:23:00 AM
Amazingly cool renders Bob! I grabbed the tgd's on that thread, if you have additional ones I'd really like to see them. I have a bunch of images that are really tempting to try to emulate, if I can.
Glad you liked the project Doug, I have a group of files from that TG2 era that I can forward to you. I'll send you a PM. We used a .ter file for the terrain which I can include, although you may want to use your own terrain. In any event, use the earlier link for reference for your project.

Bob

Dune

You can use the light modulator/final density inputs to add several colors to one cloud layer. So if you make a rather dense overall cloud, and mask the color fractals by warped simple shapes or stretched (YZ or YX) fractals, you can interesting effects. That takes the rest of the cloud out.

I just put this together, not warped yet. Very simple.

zaxxon

Thanks Ulco, that set up answers a couple of questions that I was working on.

Dune

You're welcome, I'm developing something myself as well, pretty interesting... BTW, did you get my pm about exchanging stm's?

zaxxon

Hey Ulco my email address is :----@----.com (removed)
No, I didn't. Let's chat via email regarding the .spm's

TheBadger

cool.

I have not seen the Northern lights in a long time.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Got it Doug, better remove your email address again, before it gets sold to spammers!

ADE

one of my first ever renders were northern lites way back ten yrs ago, enjoyed doing them ever since

Dune

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I elaborated a bit on the setup up here. You can use one cloud layer with a few colors and some transform/extra warp between, or a few cloud layers. Use the ambient color to give the colors light.

Tangled-Universe

Pretty realistic shapes Ulco!

I thought blue auroras didn't exist, but they actually do as well as red auroras. Must be very energetic particles then to cause a blue aurora!

choronr

Yes, you have achieved those undulating shapes typical of the aurora - well done.

zaxxon

Really, really nice! So is that the basic set-up from above warped? It works, and the colors are sublime. No hijack, I'm sure all of us contestants are looking for whatever techniques that will improve our images, thanks!