I have an entry.... Final

Started by mhaze, November 09, 2014, 06:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

That is one cataclysmic image! I would hope that rules allow a more 'fantastical' level of realism. To me, this image carried forward with more refinement would be really amazing. Let's face it: Iceland is a very harsh environment; volcanoes, geothermal havoc, a ruined eco-system, a vast icy desert near the arctic circle.  So why not?

Dune

I agree with Martin; it's an extremely cramped image with everything in it that comes to mind. Keep it simple and make a nice composition, you can always add some stuff later if it's too empty. Use your strong points, don't experiment in a contest, I'd say. I know you can make very nice renders!

mhaze

Here's take two - lots to do yet but I think this is a better start.

Using Corels Paintshop Pro to compress this - looks awful.  I will have to spend some time sorting it.

Oshyan

Agreed, much better start (you can add in busyness later :D ). For compression, use XnView. It's free. Just load up whatever output format you use from Terragen in XnView, then File->Export and use the interactive JPG export dialog to get a nice balance of quality and size.

- Oshyan

mhaze

TheBadger

Ice on the water is looking really good already! And I like the terrain transitions on the right side. Would reduce the shear there though. IT feels a little over the top for that spot
It has been eaten.

zaxxon

Desolate and forbidding, and a rather nice re-start!

choronr

A good point of view and depth here with nice features.

mhaze

Next evolution - lots of tweaking to do yet and it needs something.....?

choronr

It looks very good so far Mick. Maybe a few more of the dormant vegetation plants?

zaxxon

There are some really fine shapes in the aurora and the whole scene is really evolving into a spectacular image!

TheBadger

it would blow my mind to be standing there for real. Like nothing where I live, almost alien for me.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on November 14, 2014, 04:15:13 AM
Here's take two - lots to do yet but I think this is a better start.

Using Corels Paintshop Pro to compress this - looks awful.  I will have to spend some time sorting it.

I find the current version of Irfanview is as good as PhotoShop at making images 'web friendly' and it's free
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Irfanview is fine. My personal choice is XnView. Also free, nicer UI, much more regularly updated, and totally cross-platform (Mac, Win, Linux) with XnView MP. I'm not sure if Irfanview has as nice of a web export dialog as XnView does, you can fine-tune with visual feedback just like Photoshop (better in some ways, more options).

Edit: Just checked, Irfanview's web exporter is a plugin, but works fine. I like Xnview's more for a couple reasons, first it has some important options that are missing from Irfanview's, like removing metadata and optimizing huffman table (though Irfanview likewise has some things Xnview doesn't, mainly a resizable export window and some possibly handy functions like resize and rotate that are built-in to the export dialog, but which Xnview just handles in the main UI, so aren't really necessary). Second, XnView exports to more formats from the Export dialog. Both are good options really, I just think XnView is the better of the two.

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Quotelots of tweaking to do yet and it needs something.....?

I was looking at this again. It strikes me that I cant get a real sense of how big or far anything is. I dont have a feeling of how big or small *I* am when looking at it. And that detaches me from it.
The scene needs some more depth. If you add more, I think the rest of it will really start to work its self out.

It has been eaten.