I have an entry.... Final

Started by mhaze, November 09, 2014, 06:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Strange you should mention that, I often have the same feeling in the mountains, especially in winter when there's no haze.  But yes the picture needs something to give a sense of scale but I'm stumped as to what - I was going to use some sort of Viking stones but you've done that.  I've modelled an Icelandic house but I don't feel this is the right scene for it.  Maybe the remains of an old Viking ship! ans some black sands and sea, hmmm, trouble is, I'm running out of time for something so complex.

mhaze

Just had a quick look, sea and boat possible but boy is the masking a nightmare.  May have to start again.

TheBadger

Standing stones as I have learned they are often called are all over the place in Iceland. And for that mater, all throughout the Germanic world. they were not my idea any more than mountains are my idea. And I am sure yours will not be the same as mine so if you have a story or composition that would make good use of them you should!

On another note I was looking at your first few images again. And I think you had some great things in those too. I actually have a start on a volcano because of the one in your op.
It has been eaten.

FrankB

about a sense of scale: it would already help if you had a different viewpoint with the camera, so that the viewer can see beyond the next mountains. The the atmosphere and haze will support you in creating the impression of more depth.

Then, you're right, a reference object would help with measuring the scales and distances. Perhaps a road? Now everyone knows how to make these ;-)

cheers
Frank

Dune

There's probably a cheap or free viking ship to be found, and if you edit that a bit so it looks dilapadated and broken, you'll be quite fine, I'd say. Even a procedural texturing would do, black and mosses.

mhaze

I'm going to model one after some research into the smaller Viking boats, shouldn't be too hard and yes I'll probably use some procedural shading.  Got to create a river delta to get the interface between river and sea right, that's  the next job.

inkydigit

Hi Mick,

I love the last one!
If I were to add some minor nitpicking... maybe the background rock structure could have some more varied colouring, even subtle colours?
Also some (distant) scale indication would help me... maybe the lack of atmo makes me think this scene is smaller than it is?
I hope you don't mind my input.
cheers
Jason
:)

mhaze

Take Four. Terrain World Machine, Boats modeled in Silo. Ice chunks made using dandelo's subsurface trick but I'm going to explore the new water shader before I decide which method to use.

choronr

Very good so far Mick. One thing; if it would be possible to move the aurora more to the left, the entire scene might have a better balance filling the sky - and making it brighter. Yes, re-seeding the cloud fractal can be a pain, but maybe consider doing that.

j meyer

Quote from: choronr on December 11, 2014, 11:38:45 AM
Very good so far Mick. One thing; if it would be possible to move the aurora more to the left, the entire scene might have a better balance filling the sky - and making it brighter. Yes, re-seeding the cloud fractal can be a pain, but maybe consider doing that.

Moving to the left would better be done with a transform shader instead
of reseeding,at least from my point of view.

mhaze

I'll try it but I quite like the dark light balance :)

Oshyan

Ooo, very nice! It's getting quite close to a "complete" look IMO, with the beached boats and whatnot. I don't know if the snow sparkle is realistic for this level of light (low), but it does look pretty. :)

- Oshyan

Dune

This is getting much nicer than your initial setup! There are a few things that I would change though;
Some ripples/wavelets in the water up front. More detail in front really makes it get depth and reality.
Less consistent voronoi displacement in the rocks (or broken up by a fractal warp).
Maybe some fresh snow on higher slopes to get rid of the dotty appearance.
Slighly more color into the overall very black rocks, or add some lichen or whatever is found in Iceland ion rocks.
Try to sinks the boats into wet sand (by simple shape+ displ+ reflective shader)
Use other stars; try Martin's setup, which is more subtle.

That's my humble opinion anyway, it's no law  ;)

mhaze

Hi Dune, Thanks and thanks for reminding me about the seashore - I certainly need to work on that. Some sand ripples, small fake stones, better foam and some waves.  The rocks have a lot of colour in them but I admit does not show well - I'll have to play some more. Sinking the boats is an excellent idea, I'll work on that.  Snow does need work - I don't find it easy to work with it. I will probably need to use several layers.
Oshyan, That's what I thought ;)

Dune

If the snow is displacement intersection, try a larger compute terrain patch and play with displ interesection settings or even coverage and angle, all make a difference.