Iceland Contest Entry - Final

Started by Gannaingh, November 11, 2014, 08:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

inkydigit

The last one has evolved nicely... Looking good....
:)
J

Gannaingh

I decided that the atmosphere was lacking any personality and was far too plain for this competition. I've given it some ominous clouds to try and replicate an impending rain storm feel. I've also added more detail and texture to the foreground dirt as a prelude to adding some grass and stones.

zaxxon

Ominous indeed! Very, very nice!

choronr

It is coming alive ...very good.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

choronr

Oshyan

Holy crap. Um, well done sir. You are on the right track. :D

Edit: OK, after the initial "wow" I was able to look at it with a more critical eye, hehe. First, I assume you have plans for the relatively uninteresting yet visually notable foreground. So I'll ignore that. The main thing that stands out to me is the density and size of your stones in the distance. If they're that large, they had to come from somewhere and would probably be in greater number, or in a larger flow of stones. As it is it seems like you have stone sizes down to a point, but the large stones are not caught up in a flow or occasionally having rolled away from one, they're kind of isolated in a way. Like you need more scale variation. I think at this distance you could probably make it easier on yourself by just masking a rougher terrain in the same areas as these fake stones, with a smaller scale, and then texture it similarly to the rocks. Kind of a combo of what you have here and some experiments others have been doing with mask generation inside TG (though I guess you probably have WM masks to work with). So yeah, the stones are the main thing that stands out to my eye. Either make them more spare, or *more dense* (the latter I would favor, I think).

- Oshyan

Dune

I like this ominous look, makes the mountain stand out more. The power here lies in the WM eroded terrain, which is really awesome (wish that could be done procedurally within TG). Curious to see what you'll do with the foreground.

Hannes

That looks really great already. Agree about the stones. They seem to be a bit out of place.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

choronr

Thanks Michael; and, I think I'm ready for a brain transplant.

AP

Breathless. What plans do you have in the basin?

You might want to think about adding larger stones covered in lichen and moss. A few plants here and there of course. ;) Trees maybe??? The sediment erosion channels should be masked to a color that compliments sediment material to what ever is common in Iceland. That might look neat.

Oshyan

Yes, exactly Chris. All good suggestions. I would especially like to see some nice larger stones with moss/lichen/etc., that could work well in the foreground. For example this photo I took: https://picasaweb.google.com/104300081531529253719/IcelandPart2#6088427915342847874

- Oshyan

Gannaingh

Thank you for the comments everybody, there are a lot of good suggestions here! I agree that the stones look out of place at the moment, I'm planning on using flow masks from WM, but getting a nice looking result is proving troublesome; from the camera POV they tend to appear very straight and unnatural, so I'll have to mess with that...maybe even try different erosion seeds. I have plans for isolated patches of trees and shrubbery in the mid/background, but nothing to lush since it is Iceland after all.

Thanks for looking, all!