My wip thread

Started by TheBadger, November 17, 2014, 05:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Thanks!
Well if you like the idea, than maybe I should do all I had planed for this one.
Just want to make sure I have time to try my other ideas before I get too deep into one image.
It has been eaten.

choronr

February is not that far away; better shake a leg.

TheBadger

Im going to need all that time too.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

My advice: do not overcomplicate it or get too ambitious! The image you already have is, quite honestly, fantastic. Do not overthink it. Refine what you have, render it nice, post the result here. Try to finish it within a week or two. Then "put it in your back pocket". Work on another scene, or even two. Or maybe work on a version of this scene with everything you want to put in it, sure. But I really think you have something lovely in the simplicity here.

I'm thrilled to see that despite sharing so few images in the past, all your questions *have* led to some great skills and good work from you. I only worry about your history of very long and largely unfinished projects (due, understandably, both to grand ambitions and the limits of software and hardware). Don't let it come down to the deadline as you try to make it everything you envision, try to make it perfect. From an outside perspective what you have already shown is quite compelling, at least for me...

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Good words. Mostly true I think. The contest helps me a lot. I do very well with a little outside structure provided.
I also appreciate your complements. Encouragement helps too.

Do you mean "fantastic" like fantastical, or you mean well done? I definitely have a soft spot in me for fantasy art. I have found it as inspiring as syfy since I was a kid and still do.

This image is a hint at what I want to do as a variation:
[attachimg=1]

I am looking for assets now that will take me most of the way.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

By "fantastic" I meant "very good". :D I have no idea what your inspiration image really says about a possible TG image, it's so dominated by characters and a non-realistic art style that I can't imagine it translating to TG. But I'm glad it gives you inspiration. Just remember what I said: you've already created something appealing and evocative. Refine it first and get to a "resting place", if you can, then go crazy if you want to. ;)

- Oshyan

TheBadger

QuoteI have no idea what your inspiration image really says about a possible TG image

When you see it, it will be so obvious that your stomach will hurt. ;D ;D
Oh man, now I have to do it for the fun value! Also, if it looks at all "real" I think people will like it.
It has been eaten.

FrankB

Quote from: TheBadger on November 21, 2014, 11:55:53 PM
Thanks!

Also wanted to play with marshes and Iceland has some good ones. Here is a test. I have other things I want to try, so not sure if I'll stick to this one. But Its enough to get the idea.

Very cool, Michael. My advice is to keep the overall simplicity but work on adding a lot of detail. You know, that kind of detail that one would only discover upon a second or third look.

Cheers
Frank

TheBadger

QuoteMy advice is to keep the overall simplicity but work on adding a lot of detail

Yeah, I have to agree now. I have tried a few things that are cool on their own but go make the scene better. Its strength is its openness. I will just work on the details for this one as far as the terrain.

Good to hear from you Frank. By he way, those clouds are your overcast sky clip. One of my favorites... Drop in ready to rock. Easily edited for something different. Out of the box real.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

My volcano try # 1. Try #2 is rendering now.
It has been eaten.

choronr

You're on a roll Michael, this is looking very good.

AP

I like what I am seeing here.

TheBadger

Part of something else. But I liked it on its own. Maybe someone else will too.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

other
It has been eaten.