3D city models VFX experiments rendered in Terragen

Started by Aerometrex, November 17, 2014, 07:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerometrex

Hi,

I just wanted to share a short compilation showing large 3D city models (large OBJ) using 3D environments provided by Terragen .

I am passionate  about the art and science of digital aerial mapping, photogrammetry, geospatial information, VR and 3D modelling.
http://aero3dpro.com

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Hannes

That looks insanely good! But I agree about the trees. If they were more realistic, I'd say almost movie quality.

Dune

DocCharly65

Wow! almost perfefect... (I also agree that the trees could be changed). How long was the render time?  Or the price for rendering on a farm - if you did it that way? Must have been app. 3000 frames (befor the cut even more)?

Aerometrex

I also agree, realistic trees would make a huge difference.
When we generate 3D models from photogrammetry, the resolution of our photographs varies between 3-5cm and trees tend to look like big blobs during the reconstruction.
The only way to get rid of the trees would be to edit the mesh and replace each trees with some xfrog trees which is a lot of work...but possible.
Quote from: DocCharly65 on November 18, 2014, 04:54:04 AM
Wow! almost perfefect... (I also agree that the trees could be changed). How long was the render time?  Or the price for rendering on a farm - if you did it that way? Must have been app. 3000 frames (befor the cut even more)?
These multiple shots have been generated over a year so no continuous processing.
I'm not using a render farm but a i7-3930K 3.2 GHz and 64GB of RAM.
render time will greatly vary depending on the amount of  effects. for example the post-apocalyptic bit took 13min per frame (I did 30 frames and used after-effects to time stretch by a factor of 10).
I am passionate  about the art and science of digital aerial mapping, photogrammetry, geospatial information, VR and 3D modelling.
http://aero3dpro.com