Help! Micro exporter

Started by masonspappy, June 04, 2017, 05:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masonspappy

Been working on this for a couple of nights now and getting nowhere.   I'll gladly pay in beer if I can get this working correctly:

What I'm trying to do:  Want to export a piece of terrain (in OBJ or FBX format), then import that terrain into Blender where I will be building objects to fit around  the terrain. I don't need lots of detail. Just a general shape of the terrain.

Results: Rarely, I've gotten a huge OBJ  file (rg 415+ MB) that can't be imported into Blender. But most of the time I get OBJ or FBX file that is less than 1K in size, and Blender doesn't appear to iport anything from this file.

Setup: see attached image.  Micro exported is enabled. A filename is specified within the exporter and I've used various near/far settings. I'm using Orthographic view in Camera. Image renders correctly but only a tiny file shows up in the location specified in the Microexporter.

dorianvan

Since you are doing a top down, just go with the standard farthest distance (1e+006). It's possible that your farthest distance of 100m is not far enough to reach the ground. Next, I use a much smaller width/height, like 300-ish width. Also, keep the detail medium, like .5. And make sure that you render from the Render Sequence tab, but I'm sure you knew that already. Can't help with Blender import though. Tiny files are okay if you get enough detail/triangles in your terrain.
-Dorian

Oshyan

I would guess the 100m limit is probably your issue. No need at all to limit it since you're doing top-down.

Also you'll have the best luck rendering/exporting with only 1 thread (set Max Threads to 1 on the Advanced tab). This will give you cleaner exported geometry.

- Oshyan

masonspappy

Quote from: dorianvan on June 04, 2017, 10:28:04 PM
.And make sure that you render from the Render Sequence tab, but I'm sure you knew that already
Don't  ever assume something like that where I'm concerned.  Turns out that's one of the things I was doing wrong.     :-[
The other part of the problem was that after exporting the landscape and then importing into blender, I couldn't find the mesh!   Eventually figured out that instead of importing to coordinates 0,0,0, it was actuallly importing to coordinates  waythe,hellfar,away.   Finally figured out how to reset the geometry to 0,0,0 and now I can see it just fine!

Oshyan, I did set threads as you suggested.
Thanks guys for your help!