Planet Spinner

Started by efflux, July 26, 2007, 02:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

OK guys. I had a look at my cityscape file. It's not as simple as I thought and involves 38 nodes  :'(

I did it a while back so forgot. I'll examine it and get back here.

Volker Harun

Using Efflux's Tipps and Tricks I came up with the following.

Duplicating the functions and and using another scale could make a very good scene, but I am off with other things ,-)

Volker

cyphyr

Hmm very interesting, I like where this is going. I'm looking forward to getting into these new function interpretations. You guys are really pushing the boundaries.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

efflux

Cool stuff Volker. How about sending this stuff through colour gradients  8)

What we could really do with is a steep steps function.

efflux

My cityscape actually uses a different approach. More fractal usage is good for this due to more variation that it supplies. I'll get around to looking again at my graph to see how it could be simplified. It doesn't render very fast. I think it could be better.

Volker Harun

I started with your tipp of using two PowerFractals, that got stretched into different directions ... that was Fast(!)

efflux

Yes, it turns out that I did not do this but what I did was use two transform shaders to stretch one fractal in two dimensions. However the rest of my graph (to get the straight geometry) seems over complex but I'm going to look at. I'm not tremendously enthusiastic about this cityscape thing yet. However one other angle I experimented with, ties in. The colour gradients. You will see eventually  ;)

The problem is that we don't want too many sharp angles. This doesn't facilitate displacements very well. My best Mojo examples of this, blended various techniques together so some of the more geometric forms were smoother faciliating more variety in the scape rather than just lots sharp blocks.

efflux

Volker Harun

Now again that Sine-function - The Get-Position is multiplied with a powerfractal.

efflux

Lovely. Beautiful shapes.

I'd like to see someone use the sine to get ploughed fields, to get back to a real world type of use. You just get one dimension say X from position, add a perlin noise (or could be a fractal) then through a sine. You get this:

I wasn't specifically aiming for a ploughed field effect but you can see with a bit of work you could get this really good. Better distortions, fake stones but it doesn't end there. How about creating patchworks of fields or distorting a little on a larger scale to get slightly uneven furrows. This is where other basis function could come in, like those hybrid voronois, manhatton etc. You could create entire landscapes full of fields.

efflux

This is what I had in mind for the sine furrows. It is very simple. We only need one dimension for the sine:

The graph:

How about populations of plants on the tops of the furrows or something. Steep steps function as a mask for grids of fields? We don't have that yet. Maybe we can do that by stretching out fractals and blending or using 1D from them.

This would be better with a fractal rather than just the perlin noise but it's just a test.

Anyway, got to get back to the crazy experiments. The TG2 UI (especially on my Mac) can't handle my graphs in one window now. I've had to get into creating internal networks. My next planet may be around 500 nodes. My brain is starting to hurt. It may take a long time to finish but TG2 is handling this like a dream due to the node UI. 8)

Oshyan

Wow, that's a remarkably good looking plowed field. Nice!

- Oshyan

efflux

Thanks Oshyan. Although I'm doing some weird stuff, if it feeds back into something useful for realistic use then I'll try to demonstrate that. Hopefully people can follow that graph. The problem will be in tweaking the multiply (or divide) to get the scale they want but with experiment that will come clear.

Funny, but their seems to be two spellings of ploughed or plowed. US and UK differences I think. My Mac spell checked me when I thought I had got it right.

Just to add here, to help see what you are doing with the multiply, take your camera to about 20m. With a multiply of 1 you will see the sine so then you will see what multiplying or dividing (e.g. multipying by 0.1) will do. By tweaking you will learn the sine better.

Volker Harun

FrankB

indeed, looking very good. Especially like the simplicity of the node setup for this.