Sketches

Started by fleetwood, November 21, 2014, 11:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Some trial renders. Fake stones as ice (bad idea but this ice look on stones seems doable, yet very, very bad on render time), fake moss on rocks, a test terrain.

TheBadger

those ice rocks are great!!
It has been eaten.

DannyG

Looking very good out of the gate
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

choronr

Agree, those ice/rocks and moss look very good.

Oshyan

Yes, I think those ice "rocks" actually look very good. Maybe long render times, but might be worth experimenting further!

- Oshyan

Dune

Yes, that would be an interesting direction to take. I also like the last one, especially the cold look of it, though perhaps a bit 'simple' (not meant condecendingly).

Kadri

Ulco after your post i looked ones again at the last image and yes it does have a nice photographic feel actually.

Dune

Yes, I also have the feeling it's often more difficult to get a photographic quality in more complicated scenes, with an extensive foreground e.g.

fleetwood

Thanks for all comments.

I didn't mean the ice was bad for appearance, but as a stones shader it is impractical for placement and render time ( the ice example is only detail .5 AA 5 and still took 8 hours -  with higher detail with this set of ice shaders on stones becomes near impossible to finish a bucket). I haven't run across lots of randomly scattered chunks of ice just laying about in a "normal" landscape.  I think better use of this ice will be on placing limited individual displaceable objects instead of more difficult to control random fake stones.

I think the upper 2/3 of the mountain sketch is ok, but in the bottom third lacks realism, so the foreground needs work to match the top portion.

Oshyan

fleetwood

Wow ! I stand corrected, but maybe hard to accept for most people as real for a render due to being in the unfamiliar category.

Oshyan

Iceland is the theme for the unusual and the unexpected. :)

- Oshyan

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

FrankB

Some really good stuff going on here! The mossy rocks are awesome, and the last image is quite impressive, but it will be hard to work with the low lights / shadows that cover the entire scene.