benchmark render

Started by ewong, November 14, 2014, 03:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewong

I'm guessing this just *might* be a system related issue (Vista 32, i7, 8 GB -- yeah.. I know, 32bit is limited to 4 GB.. hope to upgrade it to 8.1 soon).

I downloaded the Terragen Benchmark tgd file and loaded it in Terragen 3 (free).  I click View->Render.  Then Clicked Render.
(There were errors and Warnings, mostly "An unknown error occurred in a render thread", "Unable to allocate memory for subdiv cache. You may be able to avoid this error by reducing the size of the subdiv cache in your render settings." and sometimes "An unknown error occurred in trBucketRender::RenderMore() rasterised pass", and "An unknown error occurred while a render thread was rendering a bucket".

It doesn't render the whole image at all.  It only renders a bit of it (usually the top part) and then it would just stop there even though the
render time is still ticking (so I know it hasn't frozen).  There are dots and a few rectangular squares.

I've attached a sample:  (it's currently at 23minutes and still hasn't done anything).

Any help appreciated.

archonforest

If CPUs are overclocked try to render without...
Otherwise I had a slightly similar problem with 4GB system memory. 8Gb handled all. You might have the same now.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

That really shouldn't happen if the hardware is working OK. However it's possible that on a 32 bit system, running without the /3GB switch, you are simply running out of memory *for the individual process*, given you have an i7 with between 4 and 6 cores, so 8-12 threads. Sudbiv cache size could be up to 1200MB, and the max any process can get under normal 32 bit Windows is 2GB, so with the rest of TG's memory use that's running dangerously close to running out.

What I'd suggest as a test is to reduce number of render threads to 1 (you can do this in the Renderer node settings, under Advanced, set Maximum Threads to 1), and then set the Size of subdiv cache to 100MB. Then try rendering again. It'll be a lot slower, but if that works, then it tells you it's likely a memory issue.

It's strange to have a machine with 8GB of memory and a 32 bit OS. Hopefully you can upgrade soon.

- Oshyan

ewong

Quote from: Oshyan on November 14, 2014, 03:05:40 PM
That really shouldn't happen if the hardware is working OK. However it's possible that on a 32 bit system, running without the /3GB switch, you are simply running out of memory *for the individual process*, given you have an i7 with between 4 and 6 cores, so 8-12 threads. Sudbiv cache size could be up to 1200MB, and the max any process can get under normal 32 bit Windows is 2GB, so with the rest of TG's memory use that's running dangerously close to running out.

- Oshyan

Hi Oshyan,

I finally took the plunge.  I upgraded my machine to a Win8.1Pro and tried the render.  It's now faster
and with no errors.   So I'm going to chalk it up as the OS not being really that great for rendering.

Ed

Oshyan

Glad to hear it's working better now. Let us know if you have any other problems.

- Oshyan