Glass Shader

Started by Matt, November 25, 2014, 11:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Yes, seems like there's no shadow inside. Did you use one-sided or double sided? Maybe that makes a difference, don't know actually.

j meyer

Seems to be the cast shadows thing again.
Light won't pass through an object as long as
it(the object) can cast shadows.
Of course you won't have a dropshadow then.

Upon Infinity

Quote from: j meyer on December 17, 2014, 12:03:37 PM
Light won't pass through an object as long as
it(the object) can cast shadows.
Of course you won't have a dropshadow then.

Given that it is glass, it shouldn't really have a drop shadow to begin with, or at least, should not be anywhere near as strong as it is.

otakar

Spot on. Unchecked cast shadows on the sphere which fixed the problem. Thank you! But shouldn't there be a light shadow as the light gets refracted hitting the sphere?

Upon Infinity

Quote from: otakar on December 17, 2014, 05:27:56 PM

Spot on. Unchecked cast shadows on the sphere which fixed the problem. Thank you! But shouldn't there be a light shadow as the light gets refracted hitting the sphere?

TG doesn't support caustics (not yet, and likely not in the near future), but yes, there should.  This looks a lot better, though.

The Dome

Got just one thing to say - bottoms up!

Hannes

Here is a problem I already mentioned in the subsurface scattering thread:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19199.msg189265.html#msg189265

When you put a solid object with a glass (or water-) shader attached behind parts of another solid object that has a glass shader as well, the occluded parts render black (see attached image).
I tried all combinations of shader/object doublesided on/off as well as cast shadows on/off. The only solution I found in the thread I mentioned above for my beer was to uncheck "visible to other rays", but in my other tests this didn't work: the object inside rendered correctly, but the glass of the outer object turned black. Wonder why this worked with the beer?!

Any suggestions or ideas?