Sub surface scattering again...

Started by Hannes, November 26, 2014, 06:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j meyer

Yay,got it,was still there in the unity shading article. 8)

bobbystahr

Hey Hannes, did ya write and send em the pics y posted here? They ask for feedback and getting TG3 in their forum couldn't hurt.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Hannes

bobbystahr

Figured that would work as well...good job
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

Sweet. It maybe doesn't look realistic but still very nice to use in many kind of different images.

Hannes

...or some kind of wax.

Hannes

j meyer

Thanks Hannes for making me aware of that model!
And of course the skin shader idea.
Had to try it,too,very promising technique.
All done with one default shader and the maps that
come with the model.
With a SubSurfScattering map done to match a scene's
lighting this could be a really good workaround.

Keep on experimenting!

Hannes

Hannes

I think I wasn't aware, that there are these other maps. The depth map is great.
But, Jochen, tell me about the shader you used. When I try to replicate what you said, I get a nasty stripe across the center of the head.

TheBadger

Quote..or an iceberg.
Kinda like that look. No, not exactly "photo real", but pretty dang cool.

Also, this skin stuff is really peaking my interest. I am curious if the trick works as well on a less real model. I mean, like a daz model. Because for me its a little hard to tell if its working as well as it is because this model you guys are using is already so detailed. A less real model may make the effect more clear?

Are any of you working on this to see just how well it can work on skin, or just toying with it right now? Worth a real investigation it feels.

Also, any benefit to using this on some plants? Seems like just as one idea, you could get some Avatar style glow in the dark tree things?
It has been eaten.

Dune

Nice heads, guys. I have to experiment with that as well (so much to do  :P ) The detail in this view might even be faked with a bump map possibly.

Regarding ice: here's a little experiment, not very well worked out yet. Default shader on fake stones. I also tried this default stuff on a churning wild river, with only a glass shader at certain areas that need transparency, but even the default shader and displacements (not even RT reflectivity) takes so much time (even on an i7) that it frustrates me, and I quit the render. I have to find a way to render it faster. But it looks good.