NWDA 2014-2015 Terragen Theme Challenge "Iceland" (UPDATE!)

Started by DannyG, November 26, 2014, 11:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyG

Judges Announced 
CONTEST JUDGES:
•   NEW WORLD DIGITAL ART Partners
•   Matt Fairclough, Creator of Terragen, VFX Artist (Sucker Punch, Transformers Revenge of The Fallen, Star Trek:Nemesis, Oblivion).
•   Greg Teegarden, Supervisor of VFX Digital Domain (Oblivion, X-Men First Class, TRON Legacy, The Fifth Element)
•   Chris Harvey, Supervisor of VFX Prime Focus & Image Engine (WATCHMEN, X-Men The Last Stand, Fast & Furious 6, Battleship, ZERO DARK THIRTY, GI-JOE)
•   Alex Jevon, VFX Artist Lola Lost Productions, Illumina Digital (The Bible, Atlantis:End Of The World Birth Of A Legend Earth's Extraordinary Journey)

More information on our panel visit our Challenge Page http://nwdastore.com/theme-challenge/
Planetside Software's Annoucement Thread http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,19056.0.html
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Nice list! Are all the NWDA folks that are listed on the About Us page participating in judging?
http://nwdastore.com/about-us/

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Ahh, yes, that is a good question. If so, some of the people in that list have commented here. Sadly that is a bit of a problem for a number of reasons that should be totally obvious.

Clarification on this would be good.
It has been eaten.

DannyG

Quote from: TheBadger on November 26, 2014, 07:09:34 PM
Ahh, yes, that is a good question. If so, some of the people in that list have commented here. Sadly that is a bit of a problem for a number of reasons that should be totally obvious.

Clarification on this would be good.
Quote from: Oshyan on November 26, 2014, 05:28:00 PM
Nice list! Are all the NWDA folks that are listed on the About Us page participating in judging?
http://nwdastore.com/about-us/

- Oshyan
NWDA will of course be involved in the review and judging process (Together collectively) NWDA partners as with Roadside will be contributing with the WIP progress threads, whether it be working on an image or commenting on other WIPs. That is the way its been done in the past. Questions or concerns .. ask away
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Oshyan

I think Badger may be feeling like it's somehow an ethical issue since they're judging and providing advice, but I don't really see why that's a problem unless they're picking favorites. I don't think that's the case myself, but perhaps others are concerned about that?

- Oshyan

Dune

I'm not biased, everyone asking for advice can get it. In the end it'll be the image that speaks, not the one who made it, with or without some advice.

DannyG

I didn't want to assume anything. Big Mike if you still have any concerns let me know and I will address them. If you prefer pm me I'll get you sorted out
Cheers
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

TheBadger

Quoteunless they're picking favorites.
I did not think that for a second.
But The first part of what you wrote is how I see it.
I have been in juried exhibitions, and there was no way a judge would interact with a participant until after the awards were given. Except to ask a question, but even that was would be unusual.

But maybe the way it is here is the norm, and my experience is strange.

QuoteI'm not biased
Everyone is biased.
But this is not about you Ulco, as far as I go. I hold you in high regard despite what you may think. Everyone here really.

Danny,
Its a question of perception. This is not a closed community, and Im not the only one who thinks its just a little bit of a strange way of doing things.
But if the other people who are actually participating are good with it than I will be too.
I would just say next time, there should be more transparency from the onset, and things should be better explained right off so there is no question about how things are being done.
People do pay attention to these kinds of things even if they never post. Just look how many views this forum gets relative to the number of actual users.

get me sorted out?
It has been eaten.

DannyG

Danny,
Its a question of perception. This is not a closed community, and Im not the only one who thinks its just a little bit of a strange way of doing things.
But if the other people who are actually participating are good with it than I will be too.
I would just say next time, there should be more transparency from the onset, and things should be better explained right off so there is no question about how things are being done.
People do pay attention to these kinds of things even if they never post. Just look how many views this forum gets relative to the number of actual users.

get me sorted out?
lol
Good luck.

badger,
If this was an issue with previous contests then we (NWDA) would not have gotten involved with the WIP threads. Not only was it a non-issue, it was embraced by the community, creating positive interaction between members, am I wrong? I fail to see any difference between Roadside and Iceland at this point. Whether we are speaking about their initial announcements or the weeks that followed it. Roadside was a successful model. Iceland followed this.
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Oshyan

I think it would be a mistake both think of this as a "juried artistic competition" (in the traditional sense) or to follow that model for a TG contest. The needs and values of a modern art community are different than the classic, traditional media art space, and I think think the older art communities can at times be frankly rather stuffy (not all of them are, of course!). So, as I said I am not a judge, I did not make the rules of this contest, but I am personally happy to see a different model being followed. Whether it is the ideal model, or in keeping with general user expectation, I cannot be sure. If others have questions or concerns about this aspect or any other part of the rules, *please speak up*.

- Oshyan

yossam

IMO it worked great with "Roadside", why change it. You can get too close to your work.........other people sometimes can see what you cannot. I learned a lot from the last contest, I'm sure I will this time also.  ;D

TheBadger

QuoteI think it would be a mistake both think of this as a "juried artistic competition" (in the traditional sense) or to follow that model for a TG contest. The needs and values of a modern art community are different than the classic, traditional media art space, and I think think the older art communities can at times be frankly rather stuffy (not all of them are, of course!).

Thats a very good point really. And kinda my issue. I have a more and more difficult time separating the areas. But I like that graphic design (for example) can be a fine art. And CG too for that mater. And of course fine art has already been sorta deconstructed to be more accessible anyway.
Thanks for understanding more or less the view I take, Oshyan.

I thought of this more as a formal thing. But it is more of a casual sort of contest. Which I agree is good. But if the judging had been explained from the onset, what could I have to be concerned about? Either I do it or I don't, but I would not need to question it.

For example, what does collective mean? Do all the judges get one vote? OR does NWDA get one vote as a whole, and the named judges get one vote each? It does not effect my wanting to be apart. But shouldn't these things be known?

This is not about distrust! Its about knowing whats actually happening. And being sure from the beginning that whatever I do wont be rejected as an entry at the end, because I kept the rules from the beginning. And things just being clearer in general.
I really did not follow things this close in the last contest. I only paid attention to the images people were creating.

I really like this contest theme and think its well worth the effort. I did not mean to sour it. Just insist on clarity. I don't think this should be talked about in PMs. Im talking about transparency and openness, regardless if its traditional or sorta new/modern way of going.

Thats all. No one who is being reasonable should be insulted by this. I'm not saying anything negative about anyone. Or this contest. I support it and this community as a whole. How could that part at least, not be obvious?
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

I agree with you in general Badger, things should have been more clear from the beginning. On principle, if for no other reason. Clarity is good, transparency is good. Certainly we know that any lack of such in the proceedings of this contest is due not to intentional secrecy or ill intent, just the fact that organizers and participants are all busy, doing this mostly as a passion project and not their daily living.

That being said, ask yourself if the answer to any of these questions would and should change whether and how you actually participate. Does it change your desire to participate if NWDA gets 1 vote for the whole collective, and all other judges have 1 vote each, vs. each NWDA member getting an individual vote along with the other judges? Can you make a rational argument for specifically how you think that would affect the outcome? I would venture to say there is no way to know the effect of such a rule distinction, which is not to say that it's not worth *making* the distinction, but rather that being concerned about it is probably not worth much time or energy. In the end the question is largely academic because the effects of such details cannot realistically be anticipated. So while I understand wanting to know, it seems to me it is a desire of clarity largely for its own sake and not any practical purpose.

- Oshyan