Trying to recreate a skycolour transition but can't get it to work

Started by Brrrt, November 30, 2014, 12:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brrrt

Hi,

I am trying to recreate this skycolour transition from a photo I took in my street, but I can't get it to work.
How would I go about creating it?
[attach=1]
I experimented with suncolour, less haze, almost no clouds, sun altitude, but it still won't work like how I want it to be.
Examples below.
[attach=2]

archonforest

Change the Haze horizon color to some kind of orange.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

yossam

You can try increasing red sky decay a little bit at a time......... :)

Brrrt

Thank you.

Comparing it to the default file helped.
I didn't expect the haze colour and haze level to make such a difference.
I had the Lighting settings too high as well as the height controls.
It seems that the sun colour doesn't matter much, since it autotunes it to more sunsetty values when you go lower than 5 degrees or so.
Going to experiment with sun colour settings and cloudless landscapes and later under water scapes next :)
I was also getting strange effects with the rocks on the water edge. Like they were floating on top of the water instead of them going on under water.
Sometimes not knowing what you are doing generates the nicest results. People who don't know Terragen think that my mistakes are the best pictures sometimes,  ;D
Older examples (they thought the left one was under water, but I had the haze density too high):
[attach=1] [attach=2]
I am currently experimenting with DoF and FoV and camera angles :)

Working with T3.1.02.0 free on Intel i3-2370M on Win 8.1 x64 with 4 GB RAM

Oshyan

Cool "underwater" rocks! I don't know if you're aware - one of your comments makes me think perhaps not - but Terragen does have a highly realistic atmosphere model. So it's not "auto-tuning" anything for sunset colors when the sun is near the horizon, it actually has a model that looks at the amount of atmosphere the light would be traveling through and simulates the scattering of the real atmosphere which is responsible for sunset colors. You can tune all the color and density values of course, but just to say that by default if you open up the starting scene in TG and move the sun down to the horizon, you'll get a sunset. You may want a more red sunset or whatever, and the best way to tune those values *realistically* is to change the atmosphere colors and densities, not the sun, because of course in the real world the sun's color never changes. So think realistically in Terragen and getting the effects you want may be easier.

- Oshyan

Brrrt

OK, ok, I am not trying to put your cool program down. :)
It is certainly realistic.
I'm still finding everything out since I last used v2  4 or more years ago. It might even have been v1.
To me it is more realistic than what I was used to in Bryce 4.
What rendersettings would you recommend for the max threads and subdiv cache on my setup (see other reply)?
I currently have it on max threads 4 with 500 MB subdiv cache.
Windows sometimes shows 6 or 7 threads used in process management for 64 bits T3.1
And would expanding memory to 8 GB matter much for rendertimes?
My current starter projects take 5 to 7 hours rendertime, but then I might still have some weird extra nodes because I don't really know what I am doing in the terrain nodes and shaders settings.
I like to set the quality to 64 for atmosphere and clouds and I have the other basic settings from the demo file for 3.1 free.
Can I improve anything in the anti aliasing bloom or GI settings? I use Catmull and also receive shadows on for atmo and clouds.

Oshyan

I didn't mean to sound defensive, just trying to explain how things work so it's easier to know how to approach your problems. :)

We always recommend leaving the subdiv cache at its default setting unless there is a really good and *specific* reason to do otherwise. In fact we're contemplating just removing that setting entirely as it seems to cause more harm than good (e.g. memory issues from people making it big because they think it will make renders faster). As for threads, set it to as many threads as your CPU can accommodate, or that -1 if you want to maintain a bit more responsiveness from your system while rendering (this is what I do). In my case I have a Core i7 CPU with 4 physical cores, but it also has hyperthreading, so up to 8 threads can be advantageous, and I have mine set to 7. Just keep in mind that efficiency goes down with more threads, so you have access to more compute resources, which is good, but there's no point in assigning more threads than you have cores. Generally it's best left at default.

I consider 8GB of RAM to be a decent amount for working with TG. 16GB is really more optimal, to be honest, but 8 is fine. IF you're running into memory constraints with what you have now (4? 6?), then adding more RAM could help, but it's generally not going to improve performance so much as it will let you create and successfully render more complex scenes and higher resolutions.

I think setting atmosphere to 64 samples as a matter of policy is really unnecessary. Clouds now use a "Quality" setting which should remain around 1 unless you have very good reason to do otherwise. Avoiding excessively high settings in those two areas alone could save you a lot of render time. The default of 16 atmo samples works fine in an average daylight scene. With higher haze, lots of shadows, or near sunset increasing to 24 or 36 may be necessary; occasionally 64 is needed to really remove all grain from the atmosphere. But it's also important to get a good sense of where noise is coming from in your sky. It can be due to both sky and atmosphere, and sometimes increasing samples for one will not fix the problem. Increasing both as a matter of policy just to handle what may be solved by increasing only one is clearly not very efficient, so it is worthwhile to experiment a bit and get a good sense of this.

Basically the message is this: the defaults are set that way for a reason and they work pretty well. Yes, you can increase Detail for better terrain and sky quality (though don't go above 0.75 unless you are sure it will benefit you, and even then only for final renders); yes, you can increase antialiasing for smoother rendering of 3D models, especially vegetation, and using values of 8 or 12 with a plant-heavy scene is reasonable. Just don't get into the habit of increasing settings from the start and regardless of the content of the scene. Get to know when 8 or higher AA is actually necessary and *only* use settings that high when you need it. etc.

- Oshyan

Dune

Hey Oshyan:
QuoteIn fact we're contemplating just removing that setting entirely
Is that true? How about making a file in a 'lesser' machine and reopening it in an i7... I always have to manually reset the initial settings, as they would still be on 400, whilst in the i7 I set it to 1600 (default there is 1200), and vice versa, when making a file in an i7 and opening on another machine, the subdiv cache is too high for that machine.

Oshyan

If we remove it, we would make it entirely automatic, set by the number of cores/render threads or perhaps that along with a basic system memory evaluation. I think the current behavior is sub-optimal anyway, even if we don't remove it.

- Oshyan

Dune

OK. I just wanted to mention that it doesn't work automatically now.