Help : SGI fileformat

Started by dirk van vliet, November 28, 2014, 11:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirk van vliet

Hi everybody,

In order to make an Image map shader, I converted a ter file into a TIF. seems OK. Then Photoshop CS5 (with the plug-in "SGIFormat64.8bi" installed) did not recognized the SGI format, so I could not convert the TIF into a SGI file.
I work with TG3
What did I wrong and how to solve yhe problem?

Dirk

Oshyan

What are you trying to accomplish? Why not just use the TIF?

- Oshyan

dirk van vliet

Hi Ashlan,

Thanks for your fast response.
I try creating a nice Cloud scene with animation using an image map shader in order varying the altitude offset . I used for this the "Cloud function tutorial" by Martin Heisman.  SGI files give the best results the tutorial mentioned, so...
I will try now your suggestion using a TIF file.

Regards,   
Dirk

dirk van vliet

Oshyan,

Sorry, with your name, something goes wrong..  :-[

Dirk

Dune

Oshyan

Did it work with TIFF?

- Oshyan

dirk van vliet

Oshyan,
Yes, it works with Tif.
After a lot of trials and errors I rendered a reasonable nice cloud scene based on an Image Map shader  and more important: I understand TG better than ever before now.
Unfortunately TG3 crashes regular  manipulating clouds and cloudlayers (not during rendering).
Is this a known TG3 problem, a Windows-7 problem or a "hardware" problem?
Thanks for your support.
Dirk

Oshyan

Terragen does not crash very often under normal conditions. The most common cause of crashes, *especially* when not rendering, are graphics card/driver/open GL issues. Usually we recommend trying to update drivers as a first step. If you're already running the latest drivers, you can try reducing the Acceleration setting of the graphics card temporarily to see if that helps (windows Driver settings).

- Oshyan

dirk van vliet

Oshyan,

I am running the latest drivers according to Windows system info. I cannot change the acceleration setting of the graphics card (Not allowed).
The problem still exist. Herewith the Windows problem signature, maybe you can use it.
Hope to hear from you, thanks.

Regards,
Dirk

Oshyan

Unfortunately I don't know that the problem signature file helps much. It really doesn't have very much info. But I would have expected to see something about the graphics driver or OpenGL if it was what I was thinking it might be, so I don't know whether this "problem signature" just doesn't have all the info, or it's a different issue than I suspected. I think it would really help most if you could describe more of the circumstances of when these crashes happen. What are you doing that might trigger it? Is it consistent in any way? Can you perhaps provide a .tgd that you can reliably cause the problem with?

- Oshyan