Painted shader

Started by Lady of the Lake, December 01, 2014, 05:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady of the Lake

How do I displace a painted shader?  Or can I?   I tried the displacement tab in the surface it is connected to.  Didn't work. I tried connecting a PF to the displacement arrow on the surface layer, using the displacement tab in the PF (also had a transform input shader connected to that  PF).  Didn't work.   I tried connecting that same PF and transform directly to the painted shader.....wow what a mess that made!!   ;D

I want to make the painted shader make a depression in the terrain.   I have put a negative number in all of the above places. 

What do I need to do to accomplish what I want?  Hope I am making sense to someone.   ::)

Upon Infinity

Just mask the terrain by shader -> painted shader.  You're not actually displacing the painted shader itself as much as limiting the displacement of another shader to the area that is painted.

There's a checkbox in the terrain tab you must check first for the masking.  Then input the painted shader into the box beside it.

Oshyan

The simplest approach is to add a Displacement Shader (that's actually what the shader/node is called, though "Displacement Shader" is also a *class* or category of shaders). Connect it in to the main shader network, if you are adding it in the Node Network and not using the Node List buttons on the left (the latter is easier, it auto-connects it for you). Then connect the Painted Shader output to the Function input of the Displacement Shader (input on the right). Change the Displacement Multiplier to adjust the effect. It sounds like you want negative, so try -100 as an initial test and adjust to your preference.

- Oshyan

Lady of the Lake

Thanks, guys, your help is appreciated.   Got it to work.   ;D