terragen 3 ter problem

Started by jward, December 06, 2014, 03:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

i have been trying for a WEEK to import ter files and display them. every time i load the ter file theview is below the terrain and the terrain is chopped up. has anyone else had this problem?

Oshyan

The camera does not automatically sit above the terrain in Terragen 2/3. Terrains load into the same location as where the camera starts. So if you load a terrain which has a height greater than the height of the default camera (10 meters), your camera will end up under the ground. There are easy ways to fix this, but no automatic solutions. You do have to move the camera, but you can do this in a couple of ways, depending on what you prefer.

I like to use the mouse and keyboard controls, with the cursor over the 3D preview you hold down Alt then click the Right mouse button and drag toward yourself ("down") 2 or 3 times in long-ish strokes (depending on how sensitive your mouse is). That should easily get you above most terrains. You'll then want to use the "Copy this view to current camera" button at the lower-left of the 3D preview to "set" your camera position.

Alternatively you can click the 4-way arrow+circle icon at the upper-right of the 3D preview to pop-out the camera navigation tool and then use the +/- buttons in the lower-left with the up/down arrow icon (+ will move you directly upward). Click and hold for a few seconds and you'll see the camera move. It will slow down near the surface (a feature that exists to help make navigation at small distances easier), then you will "pop" through and be above the terrain and movement speed will increase again. If it's too slow for you, you can increase the speed of movement of all controls in the movement widget with the 5 squares at the bottom of the widget itself; the right-most one (click to set) is the fastest and at that speed you'll get above the terrain after holding down the + button for just a second or two, but you'll probably want to decrease speed again after that for finer control. Once again, remember to click the "Copy this view to current camera" button.

- Oshyan