Object Surface Shaders?

Started by WAS, December 13, 2014, 04:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Thanks for the share. I will check it out. I went through I rebuilt everything last night and this morning. In fact, I couldn't sleep because my dreams were Power Fractal dreams based on settings and outcomes... lol I don't even know. Don't ask.

Anyways, waking up I had a new idea for mesh displacement and the algae. Goodbye slope constraints and favoring depressions. I am just going with a image shader mask. Cause all this just had me wracking my head. Going to take a look Dune, thanks a lot. You're a legend.

With the new image shader based on how water runs on a rock to provide algae sustenance looks a lot better anyhow.

As you can see, this looks a lot better then before by leaps and bounds. At least in my opinion. The moss looks quite natural, and the procedural rock texture I came up with in light of my friend bitching at me for releasing his is actually better then the original texture, so I am quite pleased all around.

What do you all think? Since it's based on a image map for the mask on the algea I was thinking of gathering an releasing for other people. Good idea? I want to help people learn as I am learning.

Oshyan

I think that looks rather good. Well done.

- Oshyan

WAS

Thank you! I think this is the best thing I have managed yet in Terragen. I can't claim laying out xfrog samples samples on some simple terrain a feat. Lol but this took my quite awhile to figure out, and I learned a loooot along the way. Thanks so much for the help guys!

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 16, 2014, 01:51:43 PM
Thanks for the share. I will check it out. I went through I rebuilt everything last night and this morning. In fact, I couldn't sleep because my dreams were Power Fractal dreams based on settings and outcomes... lol I don't even know. Don't ask.

Anyways, waking up I had a new idea for mesh displacement and the algae. Goodbye slope constraints and favoring depressions. I am just going with a image shader mask. Cause all this just had me wracking my head. Going to take a look Dune, thanks a lot. You're a legend.

With the new image shader based on how water runs on a rock to provide algae sustenance looks a lot better anyhow.

As you can see, this looks a lot better then before by leaps and bounds. At least in my opinion. The moss looks quite natural, and the procedural rock texture I came up with in light of my friend bitching at me for releasing his is actually better then the original texture, so I am quite pleased all around.

What do you all think? Since it's based on a image map for the mask on the algea I was thinking of gathering an releasing for other people. Good idea? I want to help people learn as I am learning.

Please; save it as a clip (.tgc) file and post it in File sharing. Looks pretty good and useful.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

WAS

Dune

Why do you have that large image at the bottom of all your posts? It's rather distracting if I may say so, looks like you made a new render, but every time it's the same. Your choice, of course, but I wanted to mention it.

Kadri

I thought it was a problem or what.I clicked on it several times even.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 17, 2014, 11:54:52 AM
Why do you have that large image at the bottom of all your posts? It's rather distracting if I may say so, looks like you made a new render, but every time it's the same. Your choice, of course, but I wanted to mention it.

It's called a "TAG" a unique image to represent yourself. Same as a Avatar but larger for the signature body. Present on almost any forum you'll visit. A way of showing off latest work in a small image, or a image to represent yourself. It's Graffiti in the digital world, basically.

bobbystahr

I always thought it a tad excessive when I Moderated at Rendo and I believe there was a battle about allowing them or not when I retired.
For me a Tag Line is more than enough.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Well, thanks to Kadri, I changed my profile not to include tags anymore. It was too distracting for me.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 20, 2014, 06:15:34 AM
Well, thanks to Kadri, I changed my profile not to include tags anymore. It was too distracting for me.

I run websites based on TAGs and art. Here, being art related as well, it would seem appropriate as well. I mean, not at all more distracting then a avatar and going "Oh what's that; oh, I can barely see it"  ;)

Gives you a place to show a preview of your latest work from a portfolio or whatever without removing the person from the website to view another website. And you can disable signatures easy enough if they're somehow distracting when the whole point of this website is to generate, and create worlds (art) via their software. So viewing art should be familiar.  And with such long topic pages not limited to a smaller number of posts, makes finding your own post and the next posts in line that much easier.

Kadri

One of the older users here around had a tag too but it looked clearly more like a banner.
Yours looks like an attachment and i haven't seen using someone in the way you use.
Basically it looks distracting.
And i think the only guys who use it that way are young ones or trolls or the forum is full of the same guys.

Look at the threads here around do you see anyone using it in that way?

I don't care what other forums do look like. But i know other forums too and nobody uses it that way.
This is like kind of the bad at your face commercials sticking out.

Anyway you can use now whatever you want i won't see it :)

TheBadger

QuoteI run websites based on TAGs and art. Here, being art related as well, it would seem appropriate as well. I mean, not at all more distracting then a avatar and going "Oh what's that; oh, I can barely see it"

Well one problem with that is that your image dose not link to any of the work you mention. It does nothing really, no words no links no info, does not tell us anything about you. Yet things will be drawn about you and as you can see those things may not be good things.
That space you are using for your image is really pretty useful though. If you put a link to your website there, over time it will get a lot of clicks here.

When you call it Graffiti, the thing about that is no one likes Graffiti. And that is exactly what it feels like. Why not redo your sig and tag to be more useful to everyone, and less of a distraction in other peoples threads?
To be honest, I think it it feels like you are being obtuse, and that could cause people to think you are a troll, which I don't think you are because you are posting work and sharing files.

IMO.

Cheers.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Quote from: TheBadger on December 20, 2014, 10:25:22 PM
QuoteI run websites based on TAGs and art. Here, being art related as well, it would seem appropriate as well. I mean, not at all more distracting then a avatar and going "Oh what's that; oh, I can barely see it"

Well one problem with that is that your image dose not link to any of the work you mention. It does nothing really, no words no links no info, does not tell us anything about you. Yet things will be drawn about you and as you can see those things may not be good things.
That space you are using for your image is really pretty useful though. If you put a link to your website there, over time it will get a lot of clicks here.

When you call it Graffiti, the thing about that is no one likes Graffiti. And that is exactly what it feels like. Why not redo your sig and tag to be more useful to everyone, and less of a distraction in other peoples threads?
To be honest, I think it it feels like you are being obtuse, and that could cause people to think you are a troll, which I don't think you are because you are posting work and sharing files.
IMO.
Cheers.

+1

Dune

Well, that was basically my feeling as well. I'd be grateful for a little modesty in that respect.