Rotate clouds ?

Started by russe166, January 16, 2015, 07:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russe166

Hi!

I would like to make a render with a reentry wake of a space capsule. My idea was to use a cloud for the effect but I can not place the cloud behind the capsule.

Does anyone have an idea?

bobbystahr

Sorry no idea but am watching THIS thread for sure.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I don't know if that would work, as the cloud height would have to be all the way form orbit into atmosphere, or you'd have to animate that height as well. If that would work, you could try an animated camera (or maybe more if needed) behind its tail, with an image map (circle), and a distance shader as a combined mask.

Kadri

If you can't get it work use brute force. Put a small planet where the object is and use its cloud-atmosphere ;)

russe166

Thanks for your reply!

I'll try what you have suggested and meanwhile I used the 'Vortex warp shader' to bend the cloud but the result is rather uncontrollable for me.

Kadri

These days the most thing i want is probably clouds that we can put anywhere in any way we want.

j meyer

If you would use a cylindrical shape instead of the localise feature
you could rotate it any way you want with either rotate vectors or
a transform shader.
You'll find some shapes here
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,3227.msg35144.html#msg35144
There is another thread where Matt showed how he made the beam for Tron - don't
remember the name of the thread,though - and that can be clamped to a desired
length and rotated,too.

russe166

I've tried what you have suggested and this is how far I've managed to place the cloud behind the space capsule.

Quote from: j meyer on January 17, 2015, 11:32:10 AM
If you would use a cylindrical shape instead of the localise feature
you could rotate it any way you want with either rotate vectors or
a transform shader.

I have tried it, but it is beyond my terragen skills.

Quote from: Dune on January 17, 2015, 03:07:42 AM
I don't know if that would work, as the cloud height would have to be all the way form orbit into atmosphere, or you'd have to animate that height as well. If that would work, you could try an animated camera (or maybe more if needed) behind its tail, with an image map (circle), and a distance shader as a combined mask.

As far as I understand it, the cloud would then point to the normal of the planet surface but I would like to position it behind the capsule.

Quote from: Kadri on January 17, 2015, 06:13:16 AM
If you can't get it work use brute force. Put a small planet where the object is and use its cloud-atmosphere ;)

So that is what I have done so far, but the reenrty (cloud) wake should be longer and I did not find a way to make a longer tail behind the capsule.

Kadri

I looked at your file.

It is hard to work with small other planets especially when you want to use their atmo-clouds.
It can be done but it is sometimes tricky. I use this method in my animation for a scene now for example

In your case i would use a little different method. It depends on what you want to do and if you want to animate or not too of course.

With kind of tricky scenes like this the best way is to plan ahead and use the center point (0,0,0 is what i mean not the real center of the planet) of the main planet so much you can do.

Put the cloud and your object there at the "0,0,0" point.
Then use the clouds high (change it for how much you want) and-or the objects position.

After you have the high of the cloud how you want it disable the main planet surface rendering option and
change the camera angle like in the position that you want, like in the first image.
Think relative.You don't have to change the objects position or angle at all.
Then put the other things like the planet in the far side etc.

For a still image i would  render a separate scene with only the burning cloud and comp it in post.
This would be much easier especially if you haven't planed the scene before accordingly.
But i think you can change your scene very fast if you only have to change the place of that planet further away.

Dune

This is what I mean, and it's quite easy.

russe166

Thanks for the tips and explanations!

Quote from: Dune on January 19, 2015, 03:16:15 AM
This is what I mean, and it's quite easy.
So far I have tried out the suggestions of Dune (see attachment).
Now I will also try the idea of Kadri and post the results when finished.