world generation using only nodelist

Started by ewong, June 16, 2014, 01:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewong

Hi,

I understand that I can generate a world with just using the node list.

What do I need to know in order to do this?  I have (in my mind) a general idea of what
the world (I want to create) would look like.  I don't know the specifics (i.e. how high
mountains are, how deep the lakes/seas are).  Would I need to know these specifics?

Say I want a mountain range to be of a specific shape/size.  Can I do that via heightfields
and using the numeric parameters?

Thanks

Ed

Dune

Welcome to the forum. Yes, you can use the node list to produce a world. In fact, I only use the main window. But it would be good to first study the opening scene if you're new to TG3. Open the fractal terrain shader and try changing some parameters (like displacement, seed...), and see the changes. Get to know how the principle works. The simple shape mask restricts the terrain, by the way. If you uncheck the mask, the terrain covers everything.
Add a lake, and see how that covers the world. You don't need to know specifics if it's just any terrain you want to create. If you want a specific terrain, with specific shapes, you could use the painted shader or paint a white on black (16 bit greyscale TIFF) mask in say Photoshop, and import that in an image map shader (set size, and displacement there).

And study some tutorials!!!

ewong

Quote from: Dune on June 16, 2014, 05:23:08 AM
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you can use the node list to produce a world. In fact, I only use the main window. But it would be good to first study the opening scene if you're new to TG3. Open the fractal terrain shader and try changing some parameters (like displacement, seed...), and see the changes. Get to know how the principle works. The simple shape mask restricts the terrain, by the way. If you uncheck the mask, the terrain covers everything.
Add a lake, and see how that covers the world. You don't need to know specifics if it's just any terrain you want to create. If you want a specific terrain, with specific shapes, you could use the painted shader or paint a white on black (16 bit greyscale TIFF) mask in say Photoshop, and import that in an image map shader (set size, and displacement there).

And study some tutorials!!!

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the welcome. (Sorry for the delay in posting to this.  Lost track of which posts I made. ;/)

I'm now fiddling around with T3 and I'm excited about.  Daunting as it may be.