Grass, Grass, and more Grass... and ground stuff

Started by WAS, December 18, 2014, 04:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Hey there! I'm wondering, is there any good resources for free grasses? I've tried scouring the net for anything to use while learning TG and been stumped. I've been able to find a low poly grass which is just complete garbage and not easy to work with in the least, and then two, very intensely green and thick grasses (one in a circular patch... making any sort of density shader revealing it's circular-ness). The one grass from xFrog Samples doesn't seem to want to load in TG, and some others I've found came with no textures and not sure how to 'view' the models to create them.

Main vegetation seems to be easy to find for sampling purposes, but good grasses and ground cover? Nope. Speaking of that, any other alternative ground cover you've come across that is available would be awesome too... I got a furn, and a weird 'ground' spout, both of which lacking density. I've never seen a furn with only three blades. Lol

Hannes

I still use Lightning's great grass pack, which was to be found in the file sharing section here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,3716.msg38419.html#msg38419
Unfortunately Lightning went on and deleted his stuff, so I'm not sure if it would be legal to share it.

archonforest

Quote from: Hannes on December 18, 2014, 04:21:22 AM
I still use Lightning's great grass pack, which was to be found in the file sharing section here:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,3716.msg38419.html#msg38419
Unfortunately Lightning went on and deleted his stuff, so I'm not sure if it would be legal to share it.
They were uploaded for anyone so I would guess okay to share as it was shared before. Also there is a copyright PDF or something. It is mentioned in the old topic. Can u chk that pls? I would love to have that pack actually :D
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Hannes

I'm not sure. There was a lot of legal stuff going on then. What do the others say? I'd be happy to upload the grass pack, but I don't want to do something I'm not allowed to.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on December 18, 2014, 12:15:00 PM
I'm not sure. There was a lot of legal stuff going on then. What do the others say? I'd be happy to upload the grass pack, but I don't want to do something I'm not allowed to.

Depending on what his license stated. However he removed his license... which under law null-in-voids anything on his pack, as even if he removed it, the license for those that has it must remain to govern them (why websites that end development on a software remain open, otherwise anyone can redistribute their stuff cause they removed their licensing on it), especially if it's not provided in the package as required by law.

So unless he patented them, or copyrighted them with the national registry, all warranty has expired on them due to his negligence.

So I guess it comes down to respect. I would not release it publicly, but privately to friends looking for sampling resources.

otakar

As far as I remember Lightning used Xfrog models that he modified/reseeded and then redistributed which was not permitted under the licensing terms. Which is why he had to take down those files. I do recommend Walli's grasses. They are available from NWDA for a very reasonable price. If you are looking for free models, there are some in the TGO packs that came out. http://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Objects_and_Object_Collections Oh and don't forget the models that come bundled with Terragen 3 (does not apply to the free version I believe).

WAS

Hmm. TG3 needs more importing options then. Because unfortunately TG3 limits you to a few distributors, who nazify their products and do not give you even remotely good foliage for samples to even determine if their products are worth it. For example, giving me the most horrifically messed up grass and giving it away as a sample is assasine. It can't be used in ANY sense for realism, or even just a pleasing look, so pretty much shuts me down from wanting to purchase anything from them. Head on over to Blender and you can fine multi-billion poly renders of actors/charactures/scenery, for free. Because, they WANT you to buy their premium packs... Xfrog gives you a type, of grass... -_- which you then can't do anything with. And no other types of ground cover.

I can do a 1 minute search, find thousands of grass, ferns, spoutlings, bushes, pinecones, leafs, branches, stick, logs, stumps all free... unfortunately TG3 just has only two options for importing. -___-

No offense, but is this why even my school is telling me not to use Terragen and to use Vue? Even Vue can import and export from almost any 3D application -__- Our Terragen and 3D Works class is now Maya and Vue.

Also, not sure why but  Liriope (Monkey Grass) will not load. Gives a error I believe, but Been this way every time I download TG demo for couple years, never can get the Monkey Grass to show up. If xFrog wants to really sell professional stuff they need to provide suiters with a high quality example. They need to do like a "Yellowstone Pack" or Scene, and release that as an example. 12 types of native grasses, bushes, etc, so a user can literally render a entire sample "Yellowstone" scene and fiddle with it and see the actual grandeure of their stuff. So far I have trees that don't look like the real world trees (yet their paid ones do) and grass that can't be used for anything.... wtf?

Also 10% of any copyrighted, or patented products can be used. So if he reseeded the mesh, provided new textures, it is no longer a xFrog model. It retains less then 10% original material. For example, I can decrypt and decompile TG3 and use up to 10% of it's programming to make my own software, and Planetside couldn't do anything. Freedom of education and methodology.

archonforest

Kadri

Quote from: WASasquatch on December 19, 2014, 01:28:52 PM
...Because unfortunately TG3 limits you to a few distributors,...

It doesn't.
It does only limit you to the file formats it does have.
Convert them and use anything you want. Yes it isn't always smooth to do i know.
It would be certainly nice to have more importing options but this is hardly the most wanted in my "to have" list in Terragen.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on December 19, 2014, 01:53:32 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on December 19, 2014, 01:28:52 PM
...Because unfortunately TG3 limits you to a few distributors,...

It doesn't.
It does only limit you to the file formats it does have.
Convert them and use anything you want. Yes it isn't always smooth to do i know.
It would be certainly nice to have more importing options but this is hardly the most wanted in my "to have" list in Terragen.

You can convert with other commercial software. Blender properties seem to break TG. And converters don't work nor export to obj usually but specific software. Know any methods without having to invest in another license. I'm not even at quarter of the funds for tg3. So natively  it does very much limit products. Being able to import other native formats without jeopardizing the file through conversion is very important privately and commercially. Especially in the film industry where assets are developed in multiple platforms and applications. OBJ is very much a gamble and very different from one app to another. I think that is why Vue is becoming a standard .

Kadri

I don't use Blender but there are users around who uses it.
They might help in that regard if they read this maybe.

archonforest

As far as I know Pose Ray can convert objects and it is free.

Kadri

"Blender properties seem to break TG"

What is the problem exactly?
I have a feeling that it isn't a big problem as you think because others are using Blender and different software all the time.

WAS

Quote from: Kadri on December 19, 2014, 03:24:41 PM
"Blender properties seem to break TG"

What is the problem exactly?
I have a feeling that it isn't a big problem as you think because others are using Blender and different software all the time.

Well the tree and grasses I converted all broke. The trees were microscopic and when I bumped to scale of 100 the foliage wasn't present. The grasses had some error and didn't load. I believe the textures. I can try again when I get home as I find a tundra grass I want to use.